ESO Animation Canceling Guide

Last night, a group of us got together to discuss animation canceling in Elder Scrolls Online.  So I wanted to post a small video here that shows our discussion.  Let’s get started on our ESO Animation Canceling Guide.

Animation Canceling / Weaving Guide Video here

1. ESO Sorc DPS Build on October 16, 2014 at 5:52 pm

[…] while rotating between a series of ranged DPS abilities.  It’s highly recommend you learn animation canceling for the added DPS.  This is solely intended to be a damage dealing machine first, and isn’t […]

2. Charlie Cavanaugh on October 20, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Hey Jacob,
    Chas here from AOP guild. In watching your animation cancelling video, I got to wondering whether the same mechanic could work off a simple block. So normally, left click mouse (lite attack) and then key press ability. What if you did a right click mouse (block) and then key press ability. Would it work the same? It seems that that might be a good technique for tanks. Or even, now that i think of it, would bash, then key press do animation canceling?

• Deltia on October 20, 2014 at 5:40 pm

It can though I haven’t mastered it yet so I didn’t post about it. I’m working on a double canceling technique Light > Ability > Block > Light > Ability ….. more to come on this.

• Azurhalo on February 25, 2016 at 7:35 am

Hey Deltia, I know this post was October 2014, but I was curious if you ever got some kind of double cancel figured out, or whether it was even worth it or not?

• Deltia on February 25, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I don’t know what you mean by that? Three button cancel with block?

3. […] do more damage than Impale and use stamina instead of magicka.  It feels easier to weave or use animation canceling. Plus this morph makes Carve a finisher as well which is great for AoE […]

4. stephen on July 31, 2015 at 7:52 pm

What about people that animation cancel Things like whirlwind. Say whirlwind block at the same time. You can do 2 or 3 whirlwinds in the time to cast one. His can be done with other aabilities as well.

• Deltia on August 1, 2015 at 12:40 am

You can whirlwind and light attack in between everytime.

5. Webbwulf on January 26, 2016 at 12:51 am

Ok I know you probably don’t like me know after the put downs and bs I’ve caused. Putting that aside I cannot animation cancel is it just me or is this a incredibility cheap way of pvp that destroys pvp

6. Chris on January 29, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I feel this is a cheap way to play games, why animation cancel? what is the point besides being cheap?

• Deltia on January 29, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Everyone has a right to their opinion on it, it’s a way to increase your DPS with timing. I like it because it adds skill to the game without macroing.

• Chris on January 29, 2016 at 3:47 pm

It takes skill away from the game not adding to it

• Todd on February 14, 2016 at 2:50 am

It takes time to get it right and master it. That’s a skill. Saying that you want to just press your buttons and do nothing else is a lack of skill.

• Uden on June 11, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Finding a cheap way around the intended mechanics of a game is not skillful. Skill would be playing how the game is intended to be played and still coming out on top. Animation cancelling is to me an obvious bug that would have required more work than zenimax was willing to put into it to correct. Why else would they create animations for certain actions? Surely not so you could just cancel them on a whim.

7. WolfWarrior84 on February 15, 2016 at 10:06 pm

if this was meant to be part of the game it is skill if it is not meant to be part of the game you are cheating the combat system for added dps although it does take skill to do if it was not meant to be done you are cheating the system

• Azurhalo on February 25, 2016 at 6:59 am

from what I understand, zos didn’t initially intend for it to be a part of the game. Rather than fixing it, however, they adjusted abilities, etc around the concept of animation cancelling, so it is now apart of the game, and it’s required for optimal performance in any content.

8. WolfWarrior84 on February 25, 2016 at 2:05 pm

guess i wont be doing optimal performance than cause i think this is lame and takes away from the game play not adding to it, but i am just one many like this and that is fine i just refuse to do it takes more skill to do it the right why than to cheat the system to get more damage

9. Steve Job on March 28, 2016 at 11:31 am

If you don’t like it, don’t do it.
    If you want to complain – get out of your basement/bedroom, go upstairs and tell your Mummy that bad grown ups are ruining your status as a Super Star in one of the 11 games you play everyday.
    Be careful though because she might mention that “J” word again.
    – Job –

10. Naff on March 31, 2016 at 4:59 pm

To the posts downing AC, I’d say anyone can play the game and enjoy all the content without animation canceling. Even vet dungeons and trials.

However, if your hardcore and wanting to run with hardcore guilds doing Hard Mode Vet Dungeons and Trials over and over for better times, etc., you probably would want to learn it and get decent at it. But the game itself doesn’t require it, and using it isn’t cheating. Even the devs said it wasn’t going anywhere.

11. Matt on July 7, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Everyone here complaining that this is cheating or cheap remind me of the same people that whined that WoW was to hard until the made it a mindless game where everyone could be good.

12. Bryan Schook on July 26, 2016 at 2:46 am

Welcome to the new ESO, where you can buy your monster sets and get caltrops and magic det. In just a few hours. Bothers me that most end up catering to the casual. Sorry, off topic. AC, I use it and must to compete, that said I feel the same about it as many things. It should NOT be used in PvP. Skill is when you are able to attack and counter your oppositions move, but how are you expected to do this when you can’t see them? So then someone has got to come up with a way to beat that and next thing ya know there are guys flying around cyrodill spamming ultis on people.

• Deltia on July 27, 2016 at 3:50 pm

I agree with some of what you said and the cheating has gotten bad.

13. Bryan on August 2, 2016 at 9:31 am

I’m on Ps4 so the cheating hasn’t gotten as bad but its on its way. Few days ago I watched a guy spam his ultimates on just about everything moving in the sewers. I’d watched a video of the exploit from pc but didn’t think it possible on console, unfortunately I was wrong.