Welcome to yet another basic guide for Veteran Dungeons. This time we are stepping up to explore the first of the VR 6-10 dungeons – Wayrest Sewers!
As always, the guide will be split by each boss and the bold writing will be the mechanic and beneath will be the ‘tactics’.
Boss 1 – Malubeth The Scourger
In this room there is a large Soul Harvester looking mob by an altar and there is another altar to the left and right.
- Boss randomly targets a player and raises them from the ground and drains their life (blue/purple beams go to/from boss and target)
- One teammate must run to the left altar, another goes to the right and interacts with a purple mist. Once both are broken, the player targeted by boss is freed (I suggest nominating who the two altar runners will be, and who the ‘back up’ runner is should one of them be targeted.
- Healer must keep healing targeted player or they will die from health loss. If no one interacts with the altars, even if the player is kept healed, when the mechanic ends, the player will insta-die.
- It is advisable at least one other player has a heal on one of their bars – in case the healer is targeted
- Blue Orbs are thrown at 2 players, these then form ground AOE which disappear very slowly
- Nothing complicated here, just try keep moving out of the AOEs. Ranged DPS is easier for this fight as it makes it simpler to stay away from the ground AOES.
- If you are altar runners, do NOT stand by the altars throughout the fight as this will result in AOEs being planted there, you want to avoid this, so only run to and from the altar as required.
Boss 2 – Uulgarg The Risen
- Boss casts a Fear which effects everyone and while feared, players deposit fire ground AOEs as they run.
- Keep an eye on your stamina – be sure you have enough to Break Free as soon as you are feared! Once you Break Free you stop dropping fire. If you take too long to Break Free, you will find yourselves quickly running out of safe standing space as the fire does not disappear.
- Try stay spread out in this fight so that you do not cross paths into each others fire when feared
- 360 Degree AOE whirlwind attack.
- Hits very hard, but very easy to stay safe – just move out of the red AOE circle around the boss.
- Slow Heavy attack.
- Be ready to block otherwise this will be a killer. Tank be sure to keep aggro because this attack can easily kill squishy people even with block.
Mini Boss A – Skull Reaper
- Spawns 3 skeletons throughout the fight, these heal the boss.
- Easy fight, just AOE down the adds and boss together, when ads are dead focus boss.
- AOE Cone attack from boss.
- Tank should keep boss facing away from the team to ensure no one else gets hit by this. Tank can then easily sidestep this attack.
If attempting a speed run, be aware you do not need to kill this boss.
Boss 3 – Garron The Returned
- Ground AOEs thrown around.
- These are easily avoided and do not specifically target players, so in many cases you won’t need to move. If you have fought a Lich before (at a Dolmen perhaps) then this will seem very familiar.
- Spawns 4 Spectre adds.
- Ignore boss and focus down these mobs as they hit hard with an icy spell which also snares (which can make avoiding AOEs tricky). Be sure to interrupt their powerful spell when you see the opportunity
- To help with the speed killing, can be worth the tank having a DPS bar for weapon swap to help take them down.
- If you struggle with this phase, Silver Bolts may be helpful for you thanks to the stun. Evil Hunter may also be useful.
- Boss teleports then does powerful drain attack
- Soon after the adds have spawned, the boss teleports (hopefully you have killed the adds by now!). As soon as he teleports you must all gather close to the healer who needs to heal like crazy to keep everyone alive. Back up heals from anyone else in the team is greatly appreciated by the healer, so help out!
I am aware there is a strategy that can be used to avoid the 3rd mechanic. However, it stinks of cheese so I will not be putting it here as a legit tactic. The purpose of these guides is to give people an idea how to do things properly, not take shortcuts.
Mini Boss B – The Lost One
Known as the boss of pointlessness, not even sure if this guy can even be classed as a miniboss, more like a glorified trash mob.
- Boss has a bunch of adds with him. He has one special frontal wave attack which hits hard and can kill if not blocked.
- DPS kill the adds. Tank be sure to aggro boss and turn it from the group so that the special attack doesn’t kill anyone not paying attention. I believe the attack can even be interrupted.
Boss 4 – Veraine & Allene Pellingare
- One skeleton Archer and one Skeleton Swordsman. Frontal cone AOE and 360 degree AOE around swordsman.
- Tank be sure to taunt both and then drag them close together for convenience. Keep bosses facing away from the team, that way DPS have little to worry about (except melee DPS who need to move from the 360 AOE).
- Tank avoid the AOEs if you can, but otherwise just keep block up, they don’t hurt much.
- Interrupt Archer when he gears up for a special attack.
- Absorb Shield around a boss when health drops approx. 15% lower than the other boss. Lasts around 20s.
- Various ways to deal with this mechanic. Either split DPS on each boss and call out %. Or AOE them both as they should be close together. Or, just DPS one down, then when shield pops just switch to the other. AOE is actually my preference, but DPS splitting is probably smarter
- Bosses disappear, players are teleported into middle of room, giant bats spawn.
- Get your block up, AOE down the bats, stay in the healers Springs. Simple as that.
If you want the achievement associated with this final boss (kill 15 zombies while fighting the boss) then you need to NOT kill the zombies in the small room prior to the final area! Instead you drag them with you into the final room and spawn the boss. You can then kill these zombies and then have a DPS go and pull the other 2 packs of zombies in the room.
That is it for Wayrest Sewers. I love this dungeon, it is the easiest of the VR 6-10 dungeons and so a great one to train people with the increased difficulty from the VR1-5 dungeons. Once you are used to the place and running it within 15 minutes, it is actually a decent place for xp – it is no Craglorn, but for a break from questing or hardcore boss farming, it is a good place for an easy 250k xp.
(If you are on the EU server and part of the Daggerfall Covenant Faction, feel free to contact @asteldian in game if you are wanting help running Veteran dungeons, any role, any class is welcome)