ESO Master Weapon Guide

Master weapons are rare drops that Elder Scrolls Online added back in September of 2014.  I’m now starting to see these turn up and wanted to share how you can get them and implement them into your builds.  So let’s get started with our ESO Master Weapon Guide.

Table of Contents

Version

11/28/2014 – Original Release

Basics

The best way to describe these jaw dropping weapons comes directly from developers.  In a post on September 4, 2014, ZOS describes them as the following:

Ability-altering enchantments are special weapon enchantments that players can find on weapons dropped as loot in the Dragonstar Arena or from the Serpent Trial on veteran mode. They can also be acquired as rewards from the Alliance War Leaderboards. Players who already have certain weapon abilities can use weapons with ability-altering enchantments to gain a special bonus on the following:

• Grand Healing: This ability will be able to restore stamina to allies in the area.
  • Cleave: This ability will deal bonus damage on the initial hit.
  • Puncture: This ability will heal the caster.
  • Twin Slashes: This ability will deal additional bleed damage every tick.
  • Poison Arrow: This ability will increase weapon damage when attacking enemies affected by Poison Arrow.
  • Destructive Touch: This ability will deal more damage and cost less.

Now let’s talk about how they are dropping.  Currently, Dragonstar Arena (DSA) level 10 is the, Veteran Serpent Trials and PvP are only way to obtain these weapons.  On normal, DSA will award Veteran Rank (VR) level 13 staffs while the Veteran mode awards VR 14.

The traits are random though the Enchantment is what makes these weapons so special.  Normal weapons drop at blue quality and can be upgraded to legendary.  While the Veteran version start off on purple quality. One thing to note is that you remove the enchantment by placing another one on top of it.  I highly recommend not doing this, the Enchantment is what makes it special, not the actual weapon.

Speaking of special, each weapon has a unique look, sound, and appearance.  While some of these items aren’t the Best in Slot (BiS) meaning the absolute best item, they are amazing to witness.  Some might be trophy’s (like Inferno staff) some might be invaluable to your build (stamina build with Daggers) either way they are worth getting and here’s what you can expect from each.

Bow

Master Lighting Staff

Two Handed Sword

Master Greatsword

Sword

qxwp5gu9vpgr

1. Zeke on November 28, 2014 at 8:24 pm

On the daggers do they drop one at a time or do both drop. Also do you only have to equip one for the ench to work

• Deltia on November 28, 2014 at 11:17 pm

The daggers only drop individual, so no pair type of thing. And yes, the item needs to be equipped in order to work.

2. SteveD on November 29, 2014 at 10:21 am

if you dual wield with 2 of those daggers (should you ever be lucky enough to get 2 that is) will you get double the benefit…i.e. from each dagger

3. Dragonstar Arena Guide on December 8, 2014 at 6:59 pm

[…] Master Weapons – separate guide here. […]

4. Joy Division on December 19, 2014 at 5:00 pm

The Destructive Touch skill (especially for Inferno Staff) is actually very good if used as a CC skill rather than damage. You know the annoying and dangerous spheres and mages that freeze, negate, and one-shot us in the Dwemer stage of DSA? They won’t do any of that while lying on their ass 🙂

That being said, I do agree this is a skill for specific use against dangerous CCable opponent rather than spamming.

5. Septimus Mezar on February 12, 2015 at 10:59 am

The Master’s Fire Staff, Restoration Staff and Greatsword are gonna be very, very good in update 1.6. I think I am going to run DSA more often before 1.6 goes live.

6. jzholloway on March 10, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Do you have an updated damage amount for these weapons?

7. Deacon Hartle on March 24, 2015 at 2:25 pm

you can also get legendary master weapons from pvp by finishing in the top 2% of your alliance when a campaign ends

8. violin on March 28, 2015 at 12:04 pm

MAster SWORD in VT14 level damage1132 .and puncture heal 2015 and max live increased 747. Precise weapon and spell increased in 3.5%

ICE MASTER STAFF in vt 14level damage1132 and destructive abilities aditional 998 and the cost reduced 12% max magica increased 996. weapon atack increased in 12%

MASTER GREAT SWORD in vt 14level damage 1332 cleave abilities hit 664 aditional weapon atack increased 166. SHARPENED increased and spell penetration in 14%
    im onli have this 3 items

9. Doug Johnson on April 20, 2015 at 10:41 pm

I got a VR13 Master Sword the first time I completed DSA. As a tank, it was the perfect drop. Additionally, it came with the Infused trait, which increases the enchantment effect.

I’ve completed DSA about 8 times since and haven’t gotten dookey.

10. Gustavo on June 30, 2015 at 12:06 am

Hi, quick questions, how do you craft level 10 weapons? All I seem to craft is lvl 1, sorry but first time ever playing Elder Scrolls thank god it was for the PS4

• Deltia on July 1, 2015 at 10:36 pm

There’s a button to pump up the level.

• Warren on January 17, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Add more material ups your lvl for crafting then use better material for higher lvls

11. Ricky on July 30, 2015 at 7:07 am

Hey Deltia I just got VR1 recently after switching to console and 1.6 dropped yesterday. However I want to role a Templar soon and I wanted to know if you had a video of a leveling build. I can’t really use your VR14 DPS templar builds or the nice healing ones since i’ll be starting fresh. If you could email me. Thanks bud I enjoy your video’s they have helped me out alot. Have a blessed day!

12. swanny on September 27, 2015 at 8:28 pm

all the numbers and damage on these items are way way outdated

13. Mike on January 14, 2016 at 12:57 am

hi, Deltia. I have a question regarding the crafting designs of these weapons. Are these only limited to these master weapons? I’m asking this because i thought these could be crafted in this particular style from VR1 and up. This is, however, not the case.

• Deltia on January 18, 2016 at 8:02 pm

The style of these Master weapons is avalible in game, Bow is Bosmer and 2H is Redguard. I don’t know what the rest are.

• Mike on February 17, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Are these craftable by any chance? Managed to steal a staff that looks like the Masters Lightning staff though. Can’t wait till i get my hands on the dunmer version. PS: love your vids, they really helped me making my dunmer dk alot more powerfull 🙂

14. Curious on November 5, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Do the weapons still drop on normal DSA, or only vet?