Ignition, by definition is the action of setting something on fire or starting to burn. No this not a cheap R Kelly video, this build literally vaporizes everything with a bath of fire and lighting. I have literally flown back on the Sorc DPS bandwagon in Elder Scrolls Online 2.0 and I’m about to show you why. If you love caster magicka builds, high damage, nukem and jukem, this is the one: Ignition Sorcerer Build for Elder Scrolls Online.
Table of Contents
Ignition (ESO 2.2)
Ignition (Pre ESO 2.2)
Sorcerer Build Video here
When I started off my play testing with the Sorcerer, I tried to go the stamina route like my previous 1.6 builds. I wasn’t finding a lot of success and said screw it, I’m going back to magicka roots along with my High Elf heritage. I’m so glad I did because it finally feels like a perfect class and race for a massive damage. I wanted to use some of Parfax’s build thoughts, but create something of my own focused on simplistic game-play but fun and powerful. Again, this this is strictly for DPS and mainly for end-game PvE content. This might not be the worlds highest damage dealer, but you can blow through nearly all the content in the game and never feel underpowered.
This build uses a blend of gear, skills, passives, and racial bonuses to accomplish devastating sustained damage. You have two toggled abilities on giving you a massive boost in max magicka which determines how hard you abilities hit. My current build has over 32,000 magicka and 20,000 health. You are a magicka user and thus rock double destruction staffs preferably fire. You can swap out a restoration staff for backup healing or utility, but double destro works best. Here’s a quick run down of positives and negatives of the build.
+ Ridiculous DPS
+ You truly feel like an electric warlock badass
– Lacks utility for straight damage
Bar One Destruction Staff (Fire)
- Inner Light (morph of Mage Light | Mages Guild skill line) – Whether on bar one or two, you’re keeping Inner Light on at all times to gain the extra 10% spell critical and 5% max magicka.
- Force Pulse (morph of Force Shock | Destruction Staff skill line) – Yes the other morph of Crushing Shock got a damage boost and now adds some ranged AoE. Consider this your main range attack and use Crystal Fragments as a knockdown or interrupt.
- Bound Aegis (morph of Bound Armor | Daedric Summoning skill line) – A small boost to armor and spell resistance, but a massive increase in max magicka. Leave it on at all times for a DPS increase.
- Crystal Fragments (morph of Crystal Shards | Dark Magic skill line) – The original “hits like a truck” skill is back and once again viable for high end DPS. The animation has been cleaned up and this sucker hits for 15,000 damage when proc’d. Wait for your hands to glow purple and send off a frag for massive damage. Avoid casting this otherwise as the instant and reduced cost are important to maintain high DPS.
- Liquid Lighting (morph of Lighting Splash | Storm Calling skill line) – An interesting choice, but a massive single target DPS skill. Only place this once a group or a boss has been parked. This is tick constantly for a massive amount of damage and is like our Sorc DoT if you will.
- [Ultimate] Shooting Star (morph of Meteor | Mages Guild skill line) – Holy meteors, this thing is absolutely a DPS rockstar. In a group or single target, meteor hits like a truck than returns ultimate back. With a 170 cost on this ability due to Sorc passives, I’m casting Meteors much faster than a Dragonknight and doing just as much damage. Trick is, make sure the mob is parked because the ground damage does a lot over time AND that it’s not about to die.
Bar Two Destruction Staff (Fire)
- Inner Light (morph of Mage Light | Mages Guild skill line) -Same as above.
- Power Surge (morph of Surge | Storm Calling skill line) – This is where we get our spell power buff from. I also like this for decent self healing and its 23 second up time. Really, this is the only buff you need to recast during fights. And if you don’t want to, just use a spell power potions though you’ll be missing out on self heals.
- Bound Aegis (morph of Bound Armor | Daedric Summoning skill line) – Same as above.
- Elemental Ring (morph of Impulse | Destruction Staff skill line) – Mainly our flex spot considering we have decent AoE on bar one. You can even use a Restoration Staff if you like and heal here. Heck even sword and board. But the most damage will come from a Destruction Staff master weapon with high magicka. Spam Elemental Ring after casting a liquid lighting on a crowd and watch them burn.
- Mages’ Wrath (morph of Mages’ Fury | Storm Calling skill line) – Your back bar finisher that I don’t use unless fighting a boss. Swap back here and smash down that Wrath!
- [Ultimate] Energy Overload (morph of Overload | Storm Calling skill line) – Not only does this give us access to a third bar (yep), but returns magicka back as well. The nice thing here is, you can pop this on, use the ultimate for magicka or place Dark Conversion on your third bar for some resources. Make sure your third bar the two toggled abilities slotted. This is out trick to never running out of resources.
Basic idea here is buff with Inner Light and Bound Aegis, fire up Power Surge for 23 seconds, swap to bar one, Liquid Lighting target if it’s stationary than Force Pulse. You keep this rotation going (23 sec on surge, 10 on lighting than casting force whenever free) until a Crystal Fragment proc happens (I’ll show in video). BOOM, launch that sucker and go back into priority mode. You might get 3 procs back to back to back and you might not get one for a minute. Random is random, just be prepared to take advantage of the frag.
The rest is simple, swap to bar two if you need resources, AoE damage, or finisher for a boss with a lot of health. Always always use potions. Luckily this build doesn’t rely on expensive Spell Power/crit ones so the cheap VR 1 or 5 will sustain you well into a two minute fight. And always drop Shooting Star when it’s up BUT make sure the boss is stationary. It’s better to wait two seconds for the tank to move the boss into position so you can get the full 11 second ground burning effect. That with liquid lighting will skyrocket your DPS, and wipe an army of mobs.
Martial Knowledge – I started seeing this at around VR 11 though you can pick it up at VR 14 in Cyrodiil delves chest or dolmens. A good replacement if you’re low level would be anything that added spell power.
2 items – Adds max magicka
3 items – Adds spell power
4 items – Adds spell power
1 item – Adds health
2 items – chance to proc meteor doing magicka damage and DoT flame damage
2 items – Adds spell power
2 items – Adds spell damage
Master Weapon – Only through completing Dragonstar Arena (normal or VR 14 versions on Vet) can you obtain this. I’d only go with this IF you have the precise trait maybe sharpened. The added 900+ magicka at update 2.0 can get you to the 33k magic mark. A good substitute is Nirnhoned staff (set doesn’t matter).
Mundus Stone – I go with the Mage for even more magicka. Our total pool is hard to run out of with constant potions and Overloads. Great sustained so I switched away from Atronach.
Food – I now go with double stat food Lillandril Summer Sausage.
Attributes and Race Choice – It’s very hard to say choose X race and do Y with your attributes. I’d highly recommend reading both guides because without asking you 30 questions I honestly can’t say. I now aim for 18,000 health and the rest in magicka. This also greatly varies depending on your faction and Cyrodiil bonuses which will be going away.
Higher Magicka – If you wanted even more damage, you can run 5 light 1 medium and 1 heavy (shoulders/helm) for the Undaunted 6% bonus. I do swap to this setup with 300+ champion points and Undaunted skill line level 9.
For the full guide go here
- Arcanist – for magicka regeneration
- Magician – for decreased magicka cost (I go about 50/50% with my champion points here)
- Get 30 points into Apprentice for the 30 point so you get the 12% spell critical
- Than move to the Ritual and dump everything into the Thaumaturge for more damage (yes it’s in the physical tree)
- The Bastion for healing ward/hardened ward
Another thing I will spend time on in the video considering it’s very complex to write all the information out when I can explain very easily.
As you can see, this build isn’t really made for players starting out at level 3. If you want to play this style, use a Resto staff until level 15. Grab a Destro staff and use Resto for off healing. Work up both skill lines along with your main skill line. Only unlock abilities that are useful and focus on unlocking skill points and passives. Spend attributes on health, keep it simple. Don’t craft elaborate gear, you’ll be flying through content left and right and it’ll waste your time. Once you reach VR 1-5 then things start to settle in. Your number one priority is to get light armor to 50 and max out all the passives. This will allow you to cast many more spells.
Regarding gear, there’s really no substitute for monster heads. You can do a good craft-able setup for 4 piece willows and 4 piece twlights or even Torugs Pact. That’ll get you through most of the content until you can start trying for those VR dungeons. Once you reach VR 10, now you’re just about there. All your skills should be good to go and you’ll just need to track down some stellar gear.
This is suppose to be fun, and ultimately if you’re not try something else. Anything else! If you love it, let me know. I feel like an electric volcano doing damage like I’ve never done before. It’s simple, easy and fun. Plus I feel powerful and I hope you will too. I hope you enjoyed the latest build many more to come (healer than tank…then pvp).