So today I’m posting (or posted) a video on a behind the scenes look at how I create my build. This will be a multiple part series aimed at trying to create the most powerful burst AoE magicka Sorcerer possible for small group PvP “Fusion.” This is designed for small group PvP only, jump in, blow up and get out. I’m following a step by step series in this order and need your help.
- Theory – Coming up with the idea, then laying out a road map to get the build start.
- Collecting – Now we know the idea, it’s time to start collecting all the missing pieces such as gear, skills and every bit of materials needed to push our build to the limits. Things like maxing Fighters Guild, making gear legendary, PvP’ing until you get a high enough Alliance rank, so forth.
- Testing- After we have everything, now we need to see if it even works and ways to improve it. I’ll sit out in a field somewhere endlessly beating on NPC or friends writing down results, changing gear, skills and CP and doing it all over again.
- Mastery – Now I’ve proven the build can work, it’s time to play a lot of hours to encounter every scenario possible in order to prove can preform properly and of course acquire kick arse footage 🙂
- Teaching- Finally, I put it all together and make a video to show you how I came about making this build in the first place.
Instead of just going about this myself, may you can help me test and answer some basic questions? All you need to do is reply in the comments with your answer and proof (picture, link, description). I will update the question as answered and give you credit forever on the site. And an extra shout out during the builds credits 🙂
Questions to be Answered (will check off with credit once I check comments)
- Should I use Inner Light or Bound Armor or both (for max magic=more damage)?
- A: Both for max damage, Inner only for utility.
- What does more damage on a Sorcerer, max magicka or max spell power?
- A: By far max magicka plus it has the added benefit of pumping up our shields. I still like all Divines traits for PvE, PvP all Infused I think is the answer.
- What ability makes Proximity Detention Empowered (or 20% more damage)? I’ve tried Entropy and it doesn’t seem to work, even casting right before it blows up (most answer can be found on Tamriel Foundry courtesy of Asayre’s comment).
- A: Proxy Det cannot be empowered because it’s considered a DoT (Nifty). But you can Empower Dawnbreaker of Smiting which is devastating.
- What’s the most damage producing weapon for Proxy Det bar? 2H, Dual Wield, or Maelstrom Staff?
- A: Turns it out it’s not what bar you cast det on, it’s what bar you are on when it explodes. The Dual Wield bar with Torug’s swords is more DPS than a Maelstrom staff (tested by me).
- How to empower Dawnbreaker of Smiting (Fighter’s Guild Ultimate)?
- A: Entropy, animation cancel Smiting.
- What’s the best Mundus stone?
- A: Thief (Gilliam), I went with Shadow for pure damage BUT if you’re fighting groups, increasing your chances is better than one massive hit. Though I did get a 60,000 Dawnbreaker on NPCs in the sewers.
- Better to do all Divines or all Infused?
- A: The research on Tamriel Foundry suggest Infused on a High Elf is the ultimate for both PvE/PvP. I still use Divines with Thief and don’t want to recraft all my gear. BUT if you’re starting fresh with High Elf or Breton (max magicka 10%) go with infused.
- Any way else to making Proxy Det hit harder without using Thaumaturge?
- A: No, and the problem with the build is it doesn’t work as well do to Champion Points (Yahu and Pill0).
Items to Acquire (will check off as I obtain)
- 1 Heavy 1 Medium Julianos Divines or Infused (done)
- Maelstrom Lighting Staff (Precise/Sharpened) (still don’t have but I use nirnhoned crafted)
- Dual Wield Torugs Pact Swords (done)
Fusion isn’t going to work on the Sorcerer as I envisioned. And here’s why:
Apparently I’ve been playing the Sorcerer wrong for after the launch of Champion Points. Thanks to Yahu and Pill0, Elemental Expert is a much better choice than Thaumaturge. The only thing in my main rotation that uses Thaumaturge is Crystal Fragments. Pretty much everything else is Elemental (shock). While I spec’d fully into Thurm just to do a proxy det and dawnbreaker and instantly destroyed 4 players, the rest of the time I wasn’t optimized. Than when I do PvE I have to readjust my Champion Points. In comparison to a Templar or a Magicka Nightblade, this might be a better build for Fusion.
The bad news is Fusion doesn’t work on a Sorcerer the way I intend. The good is, however is I’ve learned a great deal from the community about Sorcerers and was playing it wrong for quiet awhile. And the Ignition PvE build is ready to rock and roll Overload style. A failure or a setback can lead to success and this is an example of such. The build didn’t work, but collectively we learned a lot, thus sharing our experiences and improving our gameplay. It’s a win overall and I can’t thank you know for teaching me about the mag sorc.