With the Public Test Server getting an update with the new Housing and Balancing patch, I go through the patch notes and give you what I think are the most important changes in Elder Scrolls Online Update 13. For full official patch notes check out this post here. Additionally remember that these changes aren’t final and can change based on our feedback. Let’s get started with ESO Update 13 Patch Notes Reviewed.
- Adds 39 houses throughout the game
- Inns | Free with start quest quest | 3 total, 1 for each alliance
- Apartments | from 11,000 to 13,000 gold (crown price unknown) 10 total, 1 for each of the 10 playable races
- Small Homes | from 40,000 to 73,000 gold | 10 total, 1 for each of the 10 playable races
- Medium Homes | from 190,000 to 325,000 gold | 10 total, 1 for each of the 10 playable races
- Large Homes | from 760,000 to 1,285,000 gold | 10 total, 1 for each of the 10 playable races
- Manors: 3 total | from 3,775,000 to 3,785,000 gold | 1 for each alliance
- 36 homes can be purchased with gold or Crowns (may own all)
- Homes have limits on items that can be stored (doubled for ESO Plus members)
- Dueling Allowed
- Will make specific videos on the Housing Editor once live
- Target Skeleton will be a “training dummy” similar to other games which can be crafted
- You can set permissions on who can enter your home (like a Guild house)
In essence, these cost are massive and I can only wait to see what the crown store cost will be.
Master Craft Writs
- “Maximum-tier Writ reward boxes for all tradeskills now have a chance to provide a special invitation to craft a very specific item or set of items.”
- “Writ Vouchers are a new form of currency awarded exclusively through the completion of Master Writs.” Items that can be obtained:
- Style Items, individual Motif chapters, or the complete book for the Ebony Motif
- Two Legendary Furnishing plans per tradeskill
- The recipe and unique component for the Target Skeleton Furnishing
- The recipe and unique component for Aetherial Ambrosia
- Crafting station Furnishings for each tradeskill, and a dye station Furnishing
- Attunable crafting stations for Blacksmithing, Clothier, and Woodworking tradeskills, which can be used near crafted item set sites to transform them into Furnishing versions of those set stations
Start SAVING YOUR WRITS BOXES!
- Four new motifs
- The Silken Ring style can be found in the Cradle of Shadows dungeon, available in the Shadows of the Hist DLC game pack.
- The Mazzatun style can be found in the Ruins of Mazzatun dungeon, available in the Shadows of the Hist DLC game pack.
- The Ra Gada style can now be found in Craglorn.
- The Ebony style can now be obtained from Rolis Hlaalu, the Mastercraft Mediator.
Imperial City Vendors
- The main thing here is that the box prices have been reduced and now include jewelry and weapons (yep get your Blackrose and Reactive jewelry).
- They have added Zone Bags, essentially a way to spend Alliance Points trying to get a random chance to get say Spriggans items from a certain zone. Good change but we’ll see the loot tables on PTS.
- Now PvP quest rewards give 250 AP per completion.
Champion Point Increased
- Max CP will now be 600
AoE Cap Increased
Essentially it will be easier for small groups to take out massive hordes of players in PvP .
- Adjusted the Area of Effect damage thresholds for all abilities. The new thresholds are as follows:
- Targets 1 – 6: 100% damage taken with all secondary effects applied.
- Targets 7 – 24: 75% damage taken with no secondary effects applied (formerly 50% damage taken).
- Targets 25 – 60: 50% damage taken with no secondary effects applied (formerly 25% damage taken).
- Increased the duration of the crowd control immunity buff granted after a crowd control expires on you to 7 seconds from 5 seconds. This will now match the duration of the crowd-control immunity buff granted by Break Free.
- A good change for players that don’t like to be “stun locked.”
- Reduced the maximum amount of Ultimate that can be stored to 500 from 1000.
- A direct blow to magicka Sorcerer using an Overload build. Seems like an odd change.
- Created a new debuff category, Minor Magickasteal. This is a debuff applied to enemies that restores a flat value of Magicka to the attacker every second (400 Magicka every second at CP160).
- This combined with some other skill changes to Elemental Drain, Siphon Spirit and Templar Radiant Aura will significantly change PvE sustain.
- Major Evasion: Reduced this buff category’s dodge chance bonus to 15% dodge chance from 20% dodge chance.
- Somewhat good change for perma evade builds.
- Major Force: This buff category’s Critical Damage bonus is now an additive bonus instead of a multiplicative one (consistent with all other Critical Damage bonuses), but its value has been reduced to a 15% Critical Damage bonus to compensate from 30%. Total Critical Damage bonus from this buff remains unchanged.
- Massive change that will effect PvE.
- Minor Force: Reduced this buff category’s Critical Damage bonus to 10% from 12%.
- Not as massive but the “nerf” crit meta in this game has begun.
- Minor Lifesteal: This category is now a debuff applied to enemies instead of a buff applied to allies. It now restores a flat value of Health to the attacker every second (600 Health every second at CP160).
- Another buff category that will effect healing ability Siphoning Spirit which also gave back 1% magicka on hit.
- Lava Whip: Increased the damage from this ability and its morphs by 5%.
- Strange that this got more damage….
- Dragon Blood: This ability and its morphs can now Critically Strike. Coagulating Blood (Dragon Blood morph): This morph now heals you for 33% of your missing Magicka instead of 33% of your missing Health.
- This might be too strong, especially if you build your DK for max magicka, zero sustain with massive battle roars.
- Ferocious Leap (Dragon Leap morph): This morph now deals Flame Damage instead of Physical Damage.
- In a word YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
- Strife: Increased the cost of this ability and its morphs by approximately 38%.
- A stunner to me as to why the Mag NB didn’t get any love, yet a nerf seems totally bizzare.
- Hurricane (Lightning Form morph): This morph now deals 10% more damage each tick, down from 15% more damage each tick. The final tick deals 150% more damage as a result, down from 225%.
- Well we called this in our YouTube predictions video here. Still amazingly powerful but yeah that’s a big nerf.
- Velocious Curse (Daedric Curse morph):
- Renamed this morph to Haunting Curse.
- This morph no longer shortens the duration of the curse to 3.5 seconds from 6 seconds; instead, it causes the curse to echo and trigger one additional time 6 seconds after the first explosion.
This change has me stunned as I think it’ll have major impacts in PvP and PvE. I didn’t think Curse needed a work over, in fact it was the one reason I really enjoyed the sorc this patch, because the rotation was very active centered around this skill. Another bizarre change.
- Blazing Spear (Spear Shards morph): Increased the duration of this morph to 8 seconds from 6 seconds, causing it to tick damage an additional 2 times; however, it no longer stuns the enemy when it first hits them.
- No longer stuns and is more or less a AoE DoT, okay…..
- Backlash: This ability and its morphs now deal moderate damage when they are initially applied to the enemy. This damage does not contribute to the copied damage delivered at the end of the ability’s duration.
- This could be a good thing for stamplars depending on what “moderate” damage is using Power of the Light.
- Radiant Destruction: Decreased the damage from this ability and its morphs by approximately 21%.
- BAM the nerf bat swings hard against the magplar. Beam will still be good and useful but I’ll have to do a separate video on this damage live vs. PTS.
- Lingering Ritual (Healing Ritual morph)Renamed this morph to Hasty Prayer.This morph no longer applies a small burst of healing after 8 seconds. Instead, it allows you to move and cast the ability at full speed.
- A new mobile AoE breath of life? Might be insanely powerful.
- Radiant Aura (Restoring Aura morph): This morph now increases the radius of the Minor Magickasteal to 25/26/27/28 meters.
- RIP Elemental Drain and Siphon Spirit, welcome this buff to everyone in your raid.
- Hawk Eye: Increased the amount of times this passive ability can stack to 5 times from 3 times. It continues to increase your damage with Bow abilities by 2/5% per stack.
- A decent damage boost but the problem with this passive is that the stacks fall off to earlier, until that gets two more seconds added to its duration, bow will still be meh in long term PvE fights.
- Elemental Storm Reduced the damage for this ability and its morphs by 5%.
- I’m fine with this skills damage, but you can’t mitigate the damage from blocking. So yeah, still going to be meta.
- Elemental Drain (Weakness to Elements morph): This morph no longer restores a flat value of Magicka whenever you deal Flame, Frost, or Shock Damage to the target. Instead, it applies Minor Magickasteal to them.
- Elemental Ring (Impulse morph): This morph no longer adds a small Damage over Time component to the ability. Instead, it allows you to cast the ability at a ground-targeted location up to 28 meters away.
- Tri Focus:
- This passive ability now taunts the enemy after you use a fully-charged Frost Heavy Attack.
- This passive ability now causes your block to drain Magicka (instead of Stamina) and stops your Magicka Recovery (instead of Stamina Recovery) while blocking when you have a Frost Destruction Staff equipped.
Alright, so what do I say about these changes? I think it’s completely weird. Now you’ll have Frost tanks DK that can perma block using Desert Rose or Syrabane Gear (buy it now).
- Ancient Knowledge: This passive ability no longer decreases the cast time of your Destruction Staff Heavy Attacks by 5/10%. Instead, it grants you a bonus as long as you have one Destruction Staff ability slotted. This bonus depends on your staff type:
- Flame Staves: Increases your single-target damage dealt by 4/8%.
- Frost Staves: Increases the amount of damage you Block by 10/20%, and reduces the cost of Block by 15/30%.
- Lightning Staves: Increases your Area of Effect damage dealt by 4/8%.
Another bizarre change, especially the Frost staff. I’m not going to lie, initially I thought this was a joke.
- Clouding Swarm (Bat Swarm morph): This morph no longer causes your character to pulse invisibility every second it is active. Instead, activating the swarm now allows you use the ability again to instantly teleport to an enemy up to 22 meters away and deal high damage. This teleport can be used as many times as possible within the swarm’s duration.
Something I’m super excited about is this skill and to see how hard it hits. With this be a class wide Spambush?
- Rearming Trap (Trap Beast morph): Decreased the damage done by each trap summoned from this morph by 30%.
Holy cow did trap get hit hard, less crit and 30% damage. That’s a pretty big nerf to stam builds as that accounted for a lot of damage.
- Scalding Rune (Fire Rune morph): Increased the damage of the Damage over Time component of this morph by an additional 33%.
Good change though I would have like to seen this add Minor Force, most likely this will be in magicka builds rotation.
The Lady CP Tree
- Unchained: This ability now reduces the cost of a single Stamina ability by 80% for 5 seconds instead of reducing the cost of all Stamina abilities used within 3 seconds by 80%.
I good change so you can’t block cancel and cast 3 abilities in 3 seconds basically refreshing your buffs after CC break.
- Black Rose: This item set’s 4-piece bonus now grants Maximum Magicka instead of Maximum Stamina.
- Makes BR more magicka centered.
- Engine Guardian: The Dwemer Sphere summoned by this item set’s proc now despawns when it expires.
- Why in the world take away the one great thing about Engine Guardian?
- Viper’s Sting: Fixed an issue where this item set’s proc could be triggered by Poison and Disease Damage Weapon Enchantments instead of just melee damage.
- So no nerf, no proc chance…..sick
In summary, I’m excited about housing, but the balances changes seem totally odd. We’ll have to wait and see what makes it to live but I’m pretty disappointed in some of these purposed changes. What are your thoughts?
I’m really surprised you skipped over all the mob changes. The vast majority of those mobs are in VMA. For long time players VMA may be old hat, but couple the staple damage skills getting nerfed along with a buff to the mobs in there and it changes the dynamic for newer players.
Great job as always Deltia! This summary was much easier to read than the official patch notes and I appreciate that you took the time to make it.
So if I want to use the BR set for my stam build, I should go ahead and get it before the update?
Not as strong for stam now with change in 4pc bonus to magicka.
I can’t find any information on this anywhere, can you please elaborate for us. I assume so from your reply, but if I have a BR set in my inventory or on my toon, will the 4pc bonus change to magicka after the patch? Thanks and keep up the great work!
sigh. i bought a purple high level cp set a couple months ago for my still baby STAM dk. not effing cheap. another reason to NOT support zos with a monthly sub. they keep effing with the builds.
It’s an MMO, these things happen there *regularly* to keep it going. You’re probably new to this kind of game but this is a lesson for you. 😉 Never invest into gear too much.. Tomorrow it might become trash.
unless of course the set stays stam if you bought it that way.
You mentioned a theorycrafting build for a DK magic. Is there a link with the info, I’m interested to see it.
Not yet more work.
Looking forward to it, a whole lot of potential there.
Awesome job, Deltia! Lots to love about this update, but ZOS pulled the rug out from under magicka sorcs. Reduced ultimate limit, the velocious curse change, and pet buffs? Very little to no sense. Lets hope, some day soon, pets will be gone.
These balance changes say to me “crud, we don’t have a dlc for q1, we had no dlc for Christmas, and we kinda faked our way through a dlc by conning people into buying two delves repurposed from vvaderfell and clockwork city. Quick, throw up some really confusing skill changes to confuse everyone. I know…FROST STAFF WEIRDNESS. No one will remember that Clockwork City is two years late if we change the frost staves.”
Other than that, the changes all seem odd but acceptable.
I’m a new player to eso but was actually going to work towards the templar “bee” build. Is that build done now that the stun has been removed?
no just change morphs.
Looks more like a desire “mix things up” than actual balancing. Potentially very frustrating for those of us who cant go insta buy the new meta.
… are there any frost sets that return resources?
Yes, Desert Rose frome Cyrodiil, and the Magicka Furnace set from Direfrost Keep.
Also another overland drop set that I forget the name of, that’s a weaker version of Magicka Furnace.
… and I think they watched your solo magplar vid ?
I’m worried because I’ve been trying to learn how to do trials (magplar) and really been working at it. Now that all this stuff is changing not only am I going to have to learn how to do all this new stuff but also learn how it’s going to effect my build and essentially relearn what I’m doing. It’s just really frustrating because just getting into trials is difficult and this is just making it worse. Thanks though deltia for being awesome and putting so much work into helping us and letting us know what’s going on.
You’re welcome, Templar will still be great this patch.
delta hi, tell me, how will show itself sorser in this patch? both in solo and DPS Melstrom arena?
Magplar has always been my favorite to play, but healing never was my cup of tea, so I worked very hard to turn my Templar into a strong damage dealer. With all those nerfs, however, I feel that my entire build (based on magplar builds and recommendations from your site, esp. the Bee build for PVP) will suffer greatly. Are you going to post updated magplar build recommendations for the new patch?
Yes and early testing shows the nerfs are that bad.
Hey mate how bad are the nerfs my magplar is a beast DD and was just wondering if I should re roll or is it still manageable? Cheers dude
Not bad, play your magplar if you like it.
Oh Yeah, Return of the Frost Mage..lol..Iove it… Can anybody say (World Of Warcraft: Blizzard frost mage)…=Elemental Ring (Impulse morph)..lol
Great job! I just leveled a StamSorc to CP160. It would seem the Hurricane and the Trap Beast nerf hurt the StamSorc hard. Does it make it less viable going forward?
Yes Trap effects every stam build and it’s one tool out of many.
So, I Am a total noob att this game, what class is now good in pve? Currently running a magic templar but I love my stamina nightblade that I just started, time to delete my NB?
Magplar is great.
Have you ever done a blazing shield templar build? I’ve seen guys with 70k heal doing it very hard to kill lol
Great summary, can you double check the save writ boxes statement. I am reading from others that Zos have said the new content will only be in boxes after the update. So saving boxes now may not help. Thanks.
Yeah I made a video on this yesterday.
Wish hurricane wasn’t nerfed. This was the number 1 awesome thing about stamsorc’s – and even with it stamdks and stamblades were still doing more dps. This just widens the dps gap even more!
Marcus Hairston says
Thoughts on Curse, is it dead? Its now impossible to get off on templars, is it even worth using? I guess they are forcing us to spam destro touch, ok fine.
I can’t stand it personally, but PvE it works great for sustain DPS, PvP kills a lot of the sorc fun for me.
Gilbert Sanchez says
This really messed with my stamsorc. Why mess with Rearming trap. At least i still have the viper going for me at least
Is there anyway to make a useful pve bow build for dungeon groups in this game ? Your website has made me want to play this game. But I prefer ranged bow use in mmos and can’t really find where anyone on web says its viable in this game in a group pve setting without being kicked from groups.
For dungeons yeah, but it’s really hard in comparison to melee just based on the active and passive skills.
Has there been any confirmation that they are not raising the armor and weapon caps to 180 CP from 160?
Not that I’ve seen.
Is sorc heal viable now? I don’t like Templar but I really wanna play healer. Thanks!
Depends, are you trying to complete the hardest content in the game? If not, yeah they work fine.
Tyler W says
I’m new to the game and was curious if Puncturing Strikes counts as AOE since its cast over a small area. Would this increase the damage/healing significantly?
Yes it can hit multiple players.
Is the new clouding swarm still a magic damage ability? Does the “high damage” do physical damage?
just started rolling an argonian nb catalyst tank. do you think this update will hurt this build?
No, cost a little more magicka to funnel health but otherwise it’ll still be great.
thanks a bunch. love your site and videos. being new with the access of advice is amazing.
River McCullough says
Deltia why are are they making procs not crit anymore my night blade!!!!!
What about hundings rage will it still see a change with one of its physical rates becoming Stam regen
so viper wont crit anymore? Will this hurt the nb who use proc sets?
Yes to both.
What do i use instead of viper then?
So if I planned to start the game by following Magic Templar Omega build, should I wait until the patch lands and you revise your thoughts on the build with the new changes factored in, or is it reasonably good to go?
Yeah I’m going to revise it to use either TBS or Julianos and burning spell weave since sustain isn’t an issue anymore.
Thank you for the summary. Im a little bit new here, and i’m not sure I understand the “Start SAVING YOUR WRITS BOXES”, you mean the Crates rewarded by Writs, or there are other writs boxes? (sorry english is not my native language)
The surveys, the writs apparently aren’t going to contain new items like I had thought.
Frost DK tanks sound pretty cool. Are you considering making a build for this class when the update launches?
Yeah I’ll start with Omega Templar first.
Building your Tank HYBRID Orc DragonKnight
Almost finished proving to be fun now that I got skill lines max.
But monster gear is still missing.
What changes could I expect ?
Should I change his race after patch for more punch?
Worked on this a long time hate to lose all that.
Maybe different gear I can make?
I’m now using Twice Born , Hundings Rage for lack of finding monster gear yu recommend.
Thank You for All your help.
Tremor scale still very powerful monster set
Hi there, Deltia. Quick question regarding your Templar Omega build. Which race would you recommend? High elf, Delf or Breton?
Thanks for all the hard work you put in Deltia its really appreciated and helpful, i recently rerolled dk because sorc wasnt my cup of tea and im trying to create a somewhat hybrid build using dw and 2h only need one more piece of blackrose because i think the constitution will be strong with this, i made a nord for the racial passives and most people say hybrids are no good but i think i will be able to find a nice balance if i do it right, im still fairly new to the game and sitting on 220cp but i can solo most content with 20% stam regen skills like green dragonblood or whirlwind to help sustain and the return from using ultimates which generate very fast. I just completed an akaviri dragonguard set unintentionally but i dont mind it, may search for something better to go with blackrose and will try to get malubeths to test it. Im not 100% done tweaking my build and even though i say hybrid its probably more geared towards stam with some magicka abilities at the moment but is subject to change in the near future as i try to find a comfortable medium. any thoughts or ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask questions if you need a better idea of what im trying to do/what my stats are like etc i cant find much about hybrids online.. its not so much about damage output but sustaining and surviving anything thrown at me.
Deltia, my good man, I have a theory.
Frost Staff changes to not just change up the builds, but also a prelude to introducing Wardens into the game.
Makes sense to me.
We have DK (Fire focused), Sorc (Lightning focused), but NO ice focused class.
Since Wardens were intended to be a defensive, ice magic, pet class – this change would make sense!
But maybe I’m just taking crazy pills & wishing on stars…
Meanwhile, this gives Magicka buils a way to tank now. 🙂
I called it!
Wardens were announced!
All I want, is a place to put my armour sets. A nice big wall for Monster set collection, 10 mannequins for my armour, a weapon rack and (I hate to say it) a jewellery box or somethin. As long as that’s in the rest is just a distraction.
Yeah mannequins would be sick.
Deltia, I’m running 5 piece mothers sorrow 5 piece julianos/bsw. I have no interest in trying to farm for BiS on console because it’s a joke. Will this set up still work on this patch for dungeons etc ?
drake wisdomseeker says
I totally agree. When I played Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim I would get a castle, and place mannikens in the dungeon and collect one of every set of armor in the game and one of each named weapon. that’s what I miss.
I thought they were going to nerf Viper and proc sets to DOT’s ?
Is that even being considered- taking away the skill aspect of the game
Basically they fixed viper so it no longer procs off of bows. You have to do a melee attack again(2h,dw)
With these current notes I can see making my magplar a heavy magplar tank now. Lay down ritual for aoe magic drain, and block with frost staff until ulti ( not eye of storm(frost staff imbolizes all enemy’s within it)) then spam spear/elemental ring. Basically with a frost staff you no longer need sword and board unless you to 2 set bonus with monster set. If anything gonna make sorcs op with frost staff and shield spam.
Hey Deltia, gonna try to get into this game again with a new toon. I used your T3 build when I was tanking but now I want to do DPS. Which one of your builds would you recommend for mainly Pve content?
Omega for newer players or Ignition for seasoned ones.
Started a new build using Redguard as a stamina Dragonknight for pve.
Using your recommendations on gear etc.
Is this still a viable build for pve? he is at level 40 know.
Or scrap and start over.