Learn how to give your spellcasters and range fighters and extra edge in battle with our Baldur’s Gate 3: High Ground Guide
In the treacherous and ever-changing world of Baldur’s Gate 3, gaining the high ground can be the key to turning the tide of battle in your favor. The advantage of elevated terrain provides a strategic edge that can’t be underestimated. In this guide, we will delve into the art of utilizing the high ground to outmaneuver foes, unleash devastating attacks, and secure victory in even the most challenging encounters. Whether you’re a cunning rogue or a powerful spellcaster, understanding how to exploit this tactical advantage will elevate your skills as an adventurer and shape your path to greatness.
High Ground Basics in Baldur’s Gate 3
In Baldur’s Gate 3, high ground gives you a tactical advantage in combat. If you are attacking an enemy from above, you gain a +2 bonus to your attack roll. This means that you are more likely to hit your target. This mechanic is based on the real-world principle that it is easier to hit a target from above than from below. When you are standing on high ground, you have a better vantage point and you can see your target more clearly. You are also less likely to be attacked by your target, as they have to reach up to you.
Conversely, if you are attacking an enemy from below, you have a -2 penalty to your attack roll. This means that you are less likely to hit your target.
The height difference between you and your target must be at least 2.5 meters for the high-ground bonus or penalty to apply.
Using the High Ground in Combat
The high ground mechanic can be a powerful tool in combat, and it can be used to great effect by players who are strategic in their positioning. If you can get to high ground before your enemies, you will have a significant advantage in the fight.
Here are some tips for using high ground in Baldur’s Gate 3:
- Look for areas with high ground that you can use to your advantage.
- Use ranged attacks to take advantage of your high-ground position.
- Any probably equipped fighter can shoot a bow from above
- A spell caster can use their spells, provided they are within range
- Any party member can also take advantage of consumables in their inventory. Items such as flasks of Alchemist’s Fire, Vials of Poison, Smokepowder Bombs and more
- Be aware of your surroundings and make sure that you are not flanked or trapped by enemies.
With a little planning and strategy, you can use the high ground to your advantage and turn the tide of battle in your favor.
Benefits of Using the High Ground
The are a variety of benefits to using the high ground in Baldur’s Gate 3:
- Combat Advantage
- When a character is on higher ground relative to their target, they might gain a combat advantage. This advantage can translate into an increased chance to hit the target, deal more damage, or even gain extra abilities or bonuses to their attacks.
- Ranged Attacks
- Characters with ranged attacks or spells might have an extended range or increased accuracy when firing from a higher vantage point. This can be especially useful for archers, mages, and other ranged attackers.
- Line of Sight
- Being on higher ground can improve a character’s line of sight. Allowing them to see and target enemies that might be obstructed or hidden from others on lower ground.
- Tactical Positioning
- High ground can offer better tactical positioning, making it easier to control the battlefield. It also potentially grants defensive bonuses, such as cover or partial cover from incoming attacks.
- Environmental Interactions
- In some cases, higher terrain might offer unique environmental interactions. This can include the ability to push objects down on enemies below, trigger traps, or avoid hazardous terrain.
As you venture forth in Baldur’s Gate 3, remember that the high ground is not just a physical elevation. It’s a metaphor for the strategic wisdom and foresight needed to overcome the darkest of challenges. By utilizing the tactical advantages it offers, you can tip the scales of battle in your favor and emerge victorious. So, keep your eyes on the horizon, seek out the high ground, and let your cunning and skill guide you to triumph in this grand adventure.
Looking for more Baldur’s Gate 3?
Thank you for reading our Baldur’s Gate 3: High Ground Guide. We provide the latest news and create guides for Baldur’s Gate 3. Additionally, check out our website, watch Deltia play games on Twitch, or visit his YouTube channel!