All skills and proficiencies in Baldurs Gate 3 make your character special and determine how your character deals with various actions.
Baldur’s Gate 3 character creation allows you to create complex characters, and it does a fantastic job of allowing you to make a truly unique protagonist. Background, race, class, and skills will give your character personality and unique experience in the engaging story of Baldur’s Gate 3. This guide explains what Skills & Skill Proficiencies are, how they work, and how they will affect your playthrough. We also have some tips for you on what to choose and why.
What Are Skills?
In Baldur’s Gate 3, skills are passive talents that help your character perform certain tasks. What is your character trained at? Acrobatics, Religion, or maybe History? Not all classes have access to all skills, but just because your character isn’t proficient in a specific skill doesn’t mean they can’t try to perform the action. You can receive skills from your character’s Race and Background and then select an additional 2-3 skills that depend on your class.
Skills mainly affect the game’s roleplaying aspect and give your character personality, just like backgrounds that also have specific skills and proficiencies assigned to them. However, each skill is associated with one of six abilities: Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. As a result, if you choose the right skills for your build, they will give you passive bonuses to those statistics. Pick skills that complement your class and playstyle to create an optimized build.
How Do Skill Proficiencies Work?
Skill Proficiency is a passive bonus added to all character’s dice rolls, which gives you a higher chance to pass the checks. In BG3, we have 20-sided dice. For example, when you play a Rogue class trying to sneak into a secured building, and suddenly someone discovers you, the game will ask you to roll the dice. You must get a certain number or higher on the dice to pass the check not to be discovered. And if your character is Proficient in stealth, the bonus will be added to the number on the dice giving you an advantage on all stealth checks. Stealth is a Dexterity Skill. You also have high Dexterity as a Rogue, giving you a high ability modifier bonus. So your Dice roll will be calculated as follows:
- D20 Roll Score + Ability modifier (Dexterity) + Stealth Skill Proficiency Bonus + Extra Bonuses (If you have any)
If you don’t have the stealth skill, the Skill Proficiency Bonus will not apply.
There are two types of skill checks. Firstly, automatic skill checks. They can happen during sneaking, and you can notice a dice rolling above the character’s head. Secondly, interactive skill checks are usually during the conversations when you choose the dialogue option associated with the character’s proficiency. Also, when opening chests or disarming traps.
All Baldur’s Gate 3 Skills & Skill Proficiencies
The following list presents all Baldur’s Gate 3 Skills & Skill Proficiencies:
- Acrobatics – Dexterity skill
- Animal Handling – Wisdom skill
- Arcana – Intelligence, skill
- Athletics – Strength skill
- Deception – Charisma skill
- History – Intelligence skill
- Insight – Wisdom skill
- Intimidation – Charisma skill
- Investigation – Intelligence skill
- Medicine – Wisdom skill
- Nature – Intelligence skill
- Perception – Wisdom skill
- Performance – Charisma skill
- Persuasion – Charisma skill
- Religion – Intelligence skill
- Sleight of Hand – Dexterity skill
- Stealth – Dexterity skill
- Survival – Wisdom skill
What are the best Skills in Baldur’s Gate 3?
The best skills for your character will not only fit your build and playstyle but also will provide bonuses that other members of your part can’t. Each build-optimized team needs skills, gear, or spells that complement each other. The most important are Athletics, Perception, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth.
- Athletics will allow you to jump higher and affects your character’s agility and character’s physical strength. Extremely useful in situations when you need to get to high places.
- Perception will help you detect traps and avoid environmental damage. Also, you can easily find hidden treasures hidden from others.
- Persuasion will be your best friend during almost all conversations. There is always some deal during the dialogue which you can easily win.
- Sleight of Hand is all “loot goblins” and thieves must-have. In the game, you’ll find many rich NPCs to steal from, closed doors or chests, and traps that need to be disarmed or opened. Always have at least one character in your party with this skill.
- Stealth “Melt into the shadows to surprise your opponents or avoid the fights.” You can get a massive advantage if you start the fight while in stealth, reaching the most strategic position.
How to Get More Skills and Skill Proficiencies?
The first set of skills you’ll be able to choose in character creation. Nextly, some classes will receive various proficiencies when picking their subclass. Additionally, when you hit level 4, you can select additional feats, which can also provide you with new skill proficiencies and other bonuses.
Looking For More About Baldur’s Gate 3?
Thank you for reading All Baldur’s Gate 3 Skills & Skill Proficiencies Guide. We provide the latest news and create guides for Baldur’s Gate 3. Also, watch me play games on Twitch or visit my YouTube channel!