There are 18 skill proficiencies in Baldur’s Gate 3, and it can be confusing to decide which skill is best or what you should choose when creating your character.
In the world of Baldur’s Gate 3, skills and proficiencies are the foundation upon which your character’s capabilities are built. These skills represent your character’s expertise and preferences in various aspects of the game, from combat to exploration to dialogue interactions. Proficiencies, which are linked to specific attributes like Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom, intelligence, and Charisma, determine how skilled your character is in these areas, and they play a crucial role in shaping your character’s roleplaying identity and effectiveness in different situations.
Best Skill Proficiencies You Should Choose
You should choose the skills such as persuasion, perception, stealth, intimidation, sleight of hand, athletics, and insight. Those should be a top priority for at least one of your characters. The best for your main character in Baldur’s Gate 3 is the persuasion skill. Persuasion is your ultimate tool for peaceful resolutions. You can charm your way through conversations, broker deals, and bend NPCs to your will. Whether it’s achieving your goals through diplomacy, solving misunderstandings without bloodshed, or gaining the upper hand in negotiations, persuasion will be essential.
Those Skills and proficiencies are necessary due to their utility. They strongly influence not only the roleplaying element but also the practical aspects of the game, including combat, exploration, and dialogues. A well-rounded team should ideally include members proficient in a variety of skills to ensure success in a range of scenarios. With this in mind, let’s delve into the most impactful skills and why they are essential.
Why Skills and Proficiencies Are Important
Skills and proficiencies significantly impact your ability to succeed in conversations, combat situations, and exploration. By focusing on the right skills, you enhance your character’s chances of success and contribute to a well-rounded party dynamic. Here’s why you should prioritize these skills:
- Roleplaying and Conversations: Many in-game interactions involve dialogue, negotiations, and decision-making. Having high proficiency in certain skills like Persuasion, Intimidation, insight, and Deception grants you the power to sway conversations in your favor, convincing NPCs to see things your way or to reveal valuable information.
- Combat: Skills like Athletics and Stealth influence your combat effectiveness. Athletics can be used to push enemies off ledges or perform powerful maneuvers, while Stealth enables you to initiate combat on your terms or escape danger when needed.
- Exploration: Perception is vital for detecting hidden traps and treasures, enhancing your ability to uncover secrets and navigate treacherous terrain. And Sleight of Hand will help you disarm uncover traps and unlock chests.
7 Stealth: Mastering Shadows
Linked to dexterity, Stealth lets you move unseen and unheard, granting you the element of surprise in combat and enabling sneaky exploration.
- Sneaking past guards or hostile creatures to reach objectives undetected.
- Initiating combat with a surprise advantage, gaining a tactical edge.
- Evading dangerous situations by slipping away unnoticed.
6 Intimidation: Commanding Fear
Intimidation is a charisma-based skill that allows you to spread fear and manipulate others through intimidation. It’s especially effective for strong or morally ambiguous characters.
- Forcing information out of prisoners or enemies by instilling fear.
- Convincing others to back down from confrontations without violence.
- Employing threats and coercion to influence NPCs’ decisions.
5 Sleight of Hand: The Art of Dexterity
Associated with dexterity, Sleight of Hand is a skill for those who enjoy stealing, lockpicking, and picking pockets. Even if it’s not your primary playstyle, having a character with this proficiency can be immensely useful.
- Picking locks to access hidden treasures and shortcuts.
- Discreetly pilfering valuable items from unsuspecting NPCs or looting chests.
- Thieving actions that can provide you with extra resources or information.
4 Insight: Unmasking Intentions
Insight, linked to the wisdom ability, empowers you to read people’s intentions and discern truths from liars. It’s a valuable skill for both dialogue interactions and exploration.
- Detecting lies in conversations, helps you make informed decisions.
- Predicting enemy behavior and anticipating their next moves in combat.
- Gauging the authenticity of NPCs’ claims, potentially leading to hidden opportunities.
3 Athletics: Power in Combat and Exploration
Athletics is a strength-based skill is your go-to for both combat and exploration. It enables you to shove enemies off ledges for lethal falls, move heavy objects, and handle physically demanding tasks.
- Pushing foes off high ledges to their demise during combat encounters.
- Shifting obstacles or heavy objects to reveal secret passages or new routes.
- Engaging in physically demanding challenges like climbing, swimming, or grappling.
2 Perception: Keen Eye for Detail
Linked to the wisdom ability, Perception is indispensable for navigating the world of Baldur’s Gate 3. It allows you to detect hidden traps, uncover concealed treasures, and gain insights into your surroundings, making you a true explorer.
- Spotting hidden traps and avoiding dangerous environmental hazards.
- Unearthing hidden treasures, which could include valuable loot or vital quest items.
- Identifying subtle clues and hidden paths that might go unnoticed by others.
1 Persuasion: Mastering Diplomacy
Persuasion, linked to the charisma ability, is a pivotal skill for dialogue interactions. It grants you the power to sway conversations in your favor, secure advantageous deals, and defuse tense situations. Whether you prefer peaceful resolutions or wish to manipulate others to your advantage, Persuasion is your ally.
- Negotiating favorable terms with NPCs, such as getting better rewards for completing quests.
- Convincing hostile characters to stand down, preventing unnecessary confrontations.
- Forming alliances and gathering information through tactful discourse.
In Baldur’s Gate 3, skills and proficiencies are not just numbers on a character sheet—they shape your character’s personality and potential in various game aspects. Whether you’re navigating treacherous dungeons, engaging in diplomatic conversations, or facing off against formidable foes, having a diverse set of proficient skills within your party is essential for overcoming challenges and achieving your goals. Consider the strengths and weaknesses of each skill when creating your character or assembling your party, ensuring that you’re prepared for every twist and turn the adventure brings.
Looking For More About Baldur’s Gate 3?
Thank you for reading Baldur’s Gate 3: Best Skill Proficiencies You Should Choose Guide. We provide the latest news and create guides for Baldur’s Gate 3. Also, watch me play games on Twitch or visit my YouTube channel!