Welcome to our ESO Vampire Guide. If you’ve played Elder Scrolls Online, you’ve probably seen some disgustingly pale looking players running around. Vampirism from the Elder Scrolls series makes a strong return in ESO, and anyone can get infected with it. This guide will explain how to become infected, cleanse the disease, and all of the implications the skill line holds and enables. If you wish to stalk the night, and strike fear into the lives of mortals in Tamriel, stay a while and listen.
“Vampires suck!” (me before I tried it)
Vampirism brings a lot of changes for players once the infection fully sets in. You’ll gain some weaknesses, and some strengths; both of which can truly alter your performance in combat or even simple enjoyability of the game. Most notably is the weakness to Fire damage, which can really offset players from coming into contact with it. However, thanks to some updates and a few tips, we can almost nullify these weaknesses, and abuse our newfound powers to become true masters of the night.
In Cyrodiil, nearly everyone is a Vampire. This raises us the question, what in world is so strong about it if so many players take it? After finally taking the dive, and finding someone willing to share their curse with me, I found out why. In the below section, all of the strengths and weaknesses will be revealed and explained, so you too can understand the power of Noxiphilic Sanguivoria.
Table of Contents
- Strengths and Weaknesses
- How to get Vampirism
- How Vampirism Works
- Vampire Skill Line
- Curing Vampirism
Strengths and Weaknesses
The biggest change one notices with Vampirism, is the weakness to the Fire element. All Flame damage dealt to a Vampire will be increased by 25% in its final stage. By final stage, I refer to the fact that your effects will continue to amplify, the longer you prolong to feed, which will be explained in a further segment. Below is a simple chart giving a brief overview of what comes to us as a Vampire. If you’re looking for more concrete explanations, check the Vampire Skill Line segment below.
+ New powerful abilities
+ Passive bonuses for Stamina and Magicka regeneration
+ Can earn gold selling bites
+ Sneak speed increase
+ Not permanent
+ Great for role playing
-Vulnerable to fire damage (25% at Stage 4)
-Diminishes your Health regeneration
-Vulnerable in PvP (Silver Bolts, Expert Hunter, etc)
-Continual feeding (maintenance)
+ or – Changes your look (good or bad)
After looking over that list, it really seems Vampire is powerful choice. So let’s see how we can get it!
How to get Vampirisim
Getting Vampirism is pretty easy now that a lot of players have it. Here are the ways to obtain the disease;
1) You can get bitten by a rare spawn “Bloodfiend” in each faction’s “final” zone (see spawn location areas below)
2) Or you may get bit by another player already infected with Vampirism near a ritual shrine. This is the likely the easiest, as you won’t have to wait for rare spawns and you won’t have to pay real money! Just make sure the player with Vampirism has the passive bonus spent to they can share their powers!
3) You may purchase a Vampire infection from the Crown Store for 1500 Crowns.
Here are the following Bloodfiend spawn locations in each of the zones they will be found;
Aldmeri Dominion (AD)– Reapers March
Daggerfall Covenant (DC) – Bangkorai
Ebonheart Pact (EP) – The Rift
Once you get bit by a player or an NPC, you’ll need to head to a shrine for the Scion of the Blood Matron quest that unlocks the vampire skill line. Below is the shrine location per faction.
Aldmeri Dominion (AD) – Reapers March
Daggerfall Covenant (DC) – Bangkorai
Ebonheart Pact (EP) – The Rift
After you reach the shrine, you’ll notice a quest icon on a piece of parchment. Pick it up and enter the tomb. Once inside, you’ll learn the history of the first vampire (I won’t spoil the plot). Once that’s done, you’ll take a nice relaxing bath in a massive pool of blood. Delicious!
Now you’ll notice your skill bar will have new active vampire abilities, giving you time to view and play with your newfound abilities for a bit. You’ll need to roam the dungeon and kill 10 NPCs around the area. I highly suggest playing with your skills in combat to learn first hand what they do, as written explanations only go so far. After you’ve finished striking fear in the poor lost souls in the cave, return to the quest giver and complete your journey to stalking the night. It should be noted that you will lose the vampiric abilities you had while on the quest, after completing your quest. You will have to gain experience as a Vampire to progress through the skill line to unlock the powers and passives again after you’ve finalized the quest.[bg_faq_end]
How Vampirism Works (Stages and Feeding)
Now that you’ve become one with the Night Matron, you’ll start your life as a fledgling Vampire. With this comes the ability to feed on Non Player Characters (NPC’s) to sate your thirst for blood. In order to feed on an NPC, you must enter sneak and go up to an enemy’s behind and synergize (the default key is X) to commence your feast. Feeding pushes you back a stage of Vampirism, and resets the duration in which is needed to progress to the next stage. Keep in mind that if you use this on civilians or neutral NPCs, you will incur a bounty and will be hunted by the law!
There are four stages of Vampirism; the first being the least significant (appearance, bonuses, etc.) and the last holding the most drastic changes. You progress through the various stages based on the amount of time you haven’t fed.
Each stage will take 6 hours to progress to the next stage, but casting your Vampiric abilities will shorten the time it takes by 30 minutes per cast.
Here are the various stages and what you can expect;
Vampirism Stage One
Take 0% more Fire damage
Health regenerates 0% slower
Vampire abilities cost 0% less
Your skin will be slightly pale in appearance.
Vampirism Stage Two
Take 15% more Fire damage
Health regenerates 25% slower
Vampire abilities cost 7% less
Your eyes will start to redden.
Vampirism Stage Three:
Still 20% more damage from fire
Health regenerates 50% slower
Vampire abilities cost 14% less
Your eyes will be completely blood shot.
Vampirism Stage Four:
Still 25% more damage from fire
Health regenerates 75% slower
Vampire abilities cost 21% less
Your eyes will appear infected, veins will bulge from your face, and your skin tone will appear reddish-grey. (yuck)
Stage 1 is there for players who want to be a Vampire, but are headed into content where the advantages are outweighed by the disadvantages. End game PvE has a lot of fire damage that can spell disaster for you if you enter with Stage 4, so make sure to feed before you do so. Stage 4 really shines in PvP however, despite taking that extra damage. Here are some ways to alleviate the weaknesses if you’re dead set on staying Stage 4:
- 25% more damage to fire – Elemental Defender will decrease incoming Fire damage by 25% with 100 points spent. This will even out your weakness to Fire, but you’ll still take more damage to it compared to other players. Dunmer’s also have a passive that innately increases your Flame resistance. Higher Spell Resistance can also lower the damage, as well as unique Flame Resistance enchants on jewelry.
- Health Regeneration 75% – If you’re not a tank, Health Regen isn’t a big deal in combat anyways. The loss is noticeable but it’s not going to get you killed most of the time. You can buffer up your Regeneration by using special stats or sets, such as Troll King.
- Instead of needing Health regen to buffer you back up, you’ll be able to use skills like Drain Essence or Devouring Swarm.
Vampire Skill Line
Ever wanted a 75% damage reduction ability, a health drain, or a massive AoE damage ability? Great, you’ll get them with the Vampire skill line. These abilities and major passives aren’t available to start so you’ll have to wade through leveling, but here’s what you can expect as you progress through the skill line.
- Bat Swarm (AoE DoT) – A somewhat expensive ultimate, coming in at 200 Ultimate. Keep in mind this will lessen the farther we’ve progressed in Stages, down to 158 cost! It deals Magic damage for a short 5 second window, but packs quite a punch.
- Devouring Swarm – Gains a heal component, healing us for the same amount of listed tooltip damage per second. This is our go to morph if we plan on fighting multiple people while we’re outnumbered.
- Clouding Swarm – Grants Invisibility. While this doesn’t seem like much, it can make hitting you a lot harder. On top of this, it’ll activate any passive bonuses from Racials or Classes that trigger when invisible, offering some nice damage!
- Drain Essence (Single Target DoT) – This channeled abilitiy stuns the target for 3 seconds; dealing minor Magic damage per second, and healing for 20% of your missing Health each second. Good for keeping enemies locked in place or getting some health back.
- Invigorating Drain – Also grants 2 Ultimate each second. Perfect for getting up another Devouring Swarm!
- Accelerating Drain – Grants us Minor Expedition after we finish the cast, increasing Movement Speed by 10% for 17 whole seconds. More fun than effective, so I usually don’t take this morph.
- Mist Form (Self Buff) – This reduces all damage taken by 75%, but prevents us from being healed during the duration and disables our Magicka Recovery. Also makes us immune to Crowd Control and Movement Impairing effects. Use this skill to shrug off high burst damage and move around unhindered. You can also block to cancel the effect. Just don’t get too zealous casting this! Health Regeneration also ignores the healing prevention.
- Elusive Mist – Adds Major Expedition for the duration, allowing you to move 30% faster. Really helps skate along to Line of Sight areas and choke points to turn on the enemy!
- Baleful Mist – Deals Magic damage to nearby enemies. The damage is rather lack luster, so I don’t suggest taking this one.
- Savage Feeding – Sets an enemy off balance and stunned for 4 seconds after feeding. Enables the Exploiter Passive from the Ritual tree, and enables for a follow up Heavy Attack to knock them over.
- Supernatural Recovery – Increases our Magicka AND Stamina Recovery by 10% IF we are Stage 2 or higher.
- Blood Ritual – Allows you to turn another player into a Vampire every 7 days. It’s a good way to help guildies or make some cash, get it.
- Undeath – Reduces damage taken by UP to 33%, takes effect when we are at 50% Health or lower IF we are Stage 3 or higher. This gets stronger the lower % Health we’re at, making us a hard target to kill.
- Unnatural Resistance – Reduces the Health Recovery loss from Stage 2-4. Helps us get a little bit extra Health regen, not too shabby.
- Dark Stalker – Reduces time to enter Stealth by 50% at nighttime and reduces Movement Speed penalty while crouched by 50% IF we are Stage 4.
If at any time you decide you no longer wish to be an immortal, you may head to the Mage’s Guild of the final faction zones and speak with the Priest of Arkay there. He will request a minor donation (around 600 gold) to work his magics. Once you confirm your donation and hand over the goods, he’ll make quick work of your disease and you’ll be back to a normal mortal in no time. You are free to become infected and cure yourself as many times as you want, as long as you have access to a bite and the donation fee! Here are the listed areas to cure;
Aldmeri Dominion (AD)– Reapers March – Mage’s Guild
Daggerfall Covenant (DC) – Bangkorai – Mage’s Guild
Ebonheart Pact (EP) – The Rift – Mage’s Guild[bg_faq_end] [mc4wp_form id=”9279″]
Hey bud can u tell me if invigorating drain can be broken out of in pvp i mean lkike is the stun at then end of casting or during ? Please help
it can be broke now yes.
i’m made a khajit nightblade, and want to be a vampire any tips you can give me.
Probably best used with eather nightblade with stealth-focus or nightblade caster.
The ultimate is a leage for itself. The stealth boni is cool as well but he shines with a caster build.
*better spell dmg
*better defense (for example with combining light and heavy armor. Additional defense with the shadow passive)
*Synergy on dots and channeling dmg/regen
Ever played wow? Shadow priest? This.
How much has changed in update 1.6 from when this was written? Any chance of updating the op? Thanks
A lot of changes, it’s worth updating just a lot going on atm.
Might be helpful to indicate date of writing/publishing with each article to help determine whether an article is still relevant to current patches.
Looking to begin the Laceration build on PS4 when game is released. At what level do you think I should begin becoming a vampire? As soon as I start or wait a little, till say level 10?
i am playing a breton templar healer. She is a vampire. Now I started to heal the veteran dungeons.
I wanted to know now how much spell-and firerestitance I have to get through glyphs and championpoints to negate the 40% additional firedamage.
At the moment I have 4310 fireresistance and 8656 magicresistance.
Is there a theorycrafting guide for teso?
Thanks for your help.
Would a vampire work best with a dunmer dragonknight?
Breton now actually, because spell resist affects damage from fire.
Do you have a build video for a night blade vampire? Or can you recommend changes you would make to the specter for vampirism?
Thanks in advance 🙂
You can just swap out Devouring Bats and have a great vampire build.
Vampires Kiss armor is also a beautiful pair up with vampires especially the blood frenzy bonus.
There is also another set of jewelry called vengeance leech that does that but with all three attributes
Great guide, I’m curious how well does vampire work with your shooting star build? I’m currently running or attempting to run and and I’m curious?
Hi you have the incorrect image for the vampire shrine in the rift. The map shows the same image as the shrine for bangkori.
Hi Deltias gaming, thanks for the guide I use this site as my go to guides for eso. I got vampirism at level 27 and I am now 41. My vamp level is at 9 and I have all the passives but the ultimate and mist have still not allowed me to morph them yet. Does this happen when you hit level 10 vampire? I have been grinding for days for xp to level it faster and have all the abilities on the bar (not sure if that helps). Any ideas or tips on how to get the morphs on those skills???
You should equip the abilities, elsewise you don`t get any exp in them, unless ur just using drain.
Deltias, Great work on all your guides and testing, you were mentioned in the Live stream for the IC Q&A, congrats.
So I have looked and looked and I can not find a solid source to confirm how the mechanics of Clouding swarm work in conjunction with the stealthed damage bonus. Simply put, Do you hit like a truck during Clouding swarm as if you are hitting from stealth. (assuming your behind your target) If so DW NB vamps are going to top the charts this patch with The amount of resource regeneration available. V14 NB vamp on Ps4 and I Don’t have damage counter to test this myself. Any feed back would be great.
Stoked for the new NB and DW changes coming in IC been trying to perfect a DW spec and the Hidden blade, Grim focus, and siphoning strikes changes are HUGE go the build I have been running.
I have not tested myself either so I don’t know.
im a breton templar both give me passive to magic resist, should that be enough or should I still get fire resist rings? also if magic resist helps with fire should I just get magic resist ring since that will help with all magic damage?
This guide needs some serious updating. The cost reduction at Stage 4 has not been 60% for some time, now the MAX cost reduction is just 21%. Also, there is no longer a “Midnight Drain”, it is now “Accelerating Drain”- which you have the photo of, but the guide itself still mentions the previous.
I want to be a vampire but I want to know if I can get out of being a vampire if I don’t like it.
Yep, just cure at the mages guild.
Not sure if you know the ‘values’, but :-
I am a Dark Elf NB, so a fire resist passive, my CPs for Elemental Damage is around 9%. I know the damage is now 25%, do you think I still need to have a fire resist enchantment on necklace? He is a v10 dual wield stamina build (which I’m thinking of changing lol)
Btw I really appreciate the time and quality of work you put into ESO Thank you
What ability of the Spectre Nightblade Build (10-25) should i swap out for Drain Essence, so i can level Vampirisim?
(Build like in your Video)
And at what Level would you guys recommend making the Vampire Quest?
I don’t want to be a vampire anymore! How do I get cured? I’ve visited the mages guild in a few city’s and found nothing.
Go to the last zone in your alliance Mages Guild.
Love the guide! I am a new player. (Just got my first character to CP100 so very noobish) I created a new Character thats a Dunmer NB and was curious if it was still worth going Vampire? Im assuming a lot of changes have been made over the course of the game and since I am new Im not familiar with them. If it IS still worth then should I still follow the guide? It looking like the Ulti is the only decent skill to keep on your bar. Anyways thanks for any advice and Love your site! It is a huge help to new players like me.
Yes I love it and you can always feed to stage one if you don’t want the negative effects. Also, abilities do not need to be slotted for regen.
Since switching to PS4 With My Breton Sorc I have always stayed away from Vampire because I died so easily on PC I saw above that fire damage now counts as magic damage is that all fire damage even environmental? With shield stacking light armour and ward ally you think I will be good? Will I regen Magicka like a truck?
its old stage 1 has no – effect i wrote this because people who wanna search about wamprism and saw these old information .I love your site and videos i know u have a baby boy u have to take care about u dont have time but better update these for a starter like me its pain to understand which is true or old or new best wishes for you and your family dude
Yeah this is old info, I tried to hide post that are outdated but must have missed it.
I am thanking you mr marcus for making me trust again, My own Story started in 2010 when i was seeking for how to become a vampire in south africa and i spent all the money i had and i even sell all my properties here in UK and i did not acheive it until i meet with Mr marcus baur, the man that later made me become a vampire This man gave me a reason to trust again. Thank you very much Mr marcus baur for all you have done for me, and i can not stop thanking you untill i tell the whole world how good you are,you can contact Mr marcus via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I turn to a vampire any time i want to. i become a vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a powerful man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded man in my country. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a powerful vampire kindly contact mr marcus baur on this email for futher inquires:email@example.com or whatssap us on this phone no.+359878798444