Table of Contents
Last Updated: 2023-03-23
The ESO Solo Magicka Sorcerer PvE build is for players that are looking to complete solo content with a well-rounded class. The Solo Magicka Sorcerer PVE build shines in both single target and has great survivability. If you are a beginner or looking to play solo, the Magicka Sorcerer is very forgiving, as it has a lot of shields and heals in its tool kit.
Related: Top 5 Tips for Increasing Your DPS
Last updated March 23rd, 2023, update 37 and the Scribes of Fate DLC: The ESO Solo Magicka Sorcerer PvE Build is extremely survival. You have the tools to self-sustain and heal yourself. As a result, the build is perfect for playing without a dedicated healer or tank. We adjusted relevant item sets, Pillar of Nirn and Perfected False Gods, along with changing the most effective skills bar and champion points. The build lists a few gear options – for beginner players without access to all sets and/or DLCs and two best in-slot trial options. The setup suggested also assumes you want the most survivability, not damage. Adjust where you see fit or want more damage. Also, make sure to use sets and skills that work better for you and harder end-game content.
Solo Magicka Sorcerer Playstyle in PvE
Use the following rotation as the starter point. After, apply your buffs and cast the DoT skills on cooldown for the best, highest DPS. In total, the Damage over Time skills (DoTs) do more damage than your main spammable. Thus, they need to be cast less often and are easier to maintain, for example, The Degeneration from Mages Guild or the Barb Trap from Fighters Guild. Maintain DoTs and use your spammable skill as filler until you need to reapply the DoTS.
At certain percentages, replace your spammable with your in-class or weapon execute if you have one in this build. Executes are the skills that deal more damage the lower the health of the opponent becomes. Ideally, these are meant to replace your main spammable skill at anywhere between 35% (Radiant Oppression) all the way to 20% (Mages’ Fury). At a high level, execute skills become so strong that the lower the enemy’s health, the fewer DoTs you maintain because it does so much damage.
Use the healing skill when your health drops below 50% or the shield skill when you anticipate damage. Also, always use the suggested food and potions as they significantly increase your damage, survivability, and resource sustain.
If you run out of resources, do a heavy attack and return to your rotation. Remember that a heavy attack on off-balance enemies will return double the resources. Additionally, if you are a beginner or struggle with sustain, you can flex in the Consuming Trap skill instead of a DoT skill. The Consuming Trap gives you a flood of both resources when a target dies.
The Best Magicka Sorcerer Build
In ESO, the Magicka Sorcerer is perfect for everyone who is looking for a simple-rotation survival class with a complete set of tools for solo PvE gameplay. So if the shadow assassin with blood magic and following “pros” is what you are looking for, this build is for you!
- Great damage at range
- Insane survivability
- Extremely simple
- Weak AoE
- Lack luster sustain
Keep reading for all the details about Skills, Rotation, Gear, Passives and Champion points for the build! The Gear section will include options for Beginner, Intermediate, and Optimal set-ups, with plenty of flex options available for those still filling out their sticker books.
Front Bar (Inferno Staff)
Front Bar Weapon Style Choices:
- Flame Staff = good single target damage and has range for easier survival but less damage.
- Dual Wield = most raw damage due to Twin Blade and Blunt passive BUT lacks resource return off heavy attacks
- Lighting Staff = decent option on for front bar because fully charge heavy attacking gives resources and increase AoE damage.
Bound Aegis (Morph of Bound Armor | Skill line: Daedric Summoning) - Big max magicka increase, go with inner light if you want to use tri pots instead.
Critical Surge (Morph of Surge | Skill line: Storm Calling) - God tier survivability can be swapped out for another ability.
Crystal Fragments (Morph of Crystal Shard | Skill line: Dark Magic) - Shoot crystal fragments at an enemy, dealing magic damage
Crushing Shock (Morph of Force shock | Skill line: Destruction Staff) - This is your main spammable. Force Pulse morph is decent AoE damage. Crushing Shock gives a helpful ranged interrupt. When in doubt, pick Crushing Shock for it’s utility
Mages Wrath (Morph of Mages' Fury | Skill line: Storm Calling) - This execute is useful for longer duration fights and provides AoE damage on explosion. If you struggle with sustain, pick the other morph
Flawless Dawnbreaker (Morph of Dawnbreaker | Skill line: Fighters Guild) - reworked in latest update to give spell damage of 300 for 20 seconds and passive spell damage of 3% for slotting on our spammable bar. This is a low cost alternative to use when trying to finish fights and needing a bit of burst
Back Bar (Inferno Staff)
Back bar options:
- Inferno Staff = great all-around damage with Unstable Wall and fully charge heavy to sustain magicka.
- Lighting Staff = good for beginners who lack magicka sustain because it's easier to set off balance and fully charge heavy for resources.
- Two Handed = incredible damage with stampede ability though hard to sustain stamina.
Channeled Acceleration (Morph of Accelerate | Skill line: Psijic Order) - You can get minor force buff one of many ways, gear, or two commonly used abilities Barb Trap and Channeled Acceleration. Since we play in range, Channeled is preferred, barb trap until you get the skill.
Elemental Susceptibility (Morph of Weakness to Elements | Skill line: Destruction Staff) - Update 36 saw a huge buff to this ability giving armor reduction and 3x status effects with high up time. This will do great damage solo or in a group.
Hardened Ward (Morph of Conjured Ward | Skill line: Daedric Summoning) - A massive damage shield that be replaced by another DoT or Bound Aegis if you’re playing in coordinated group. Also consider taking Empowering Ward morph as a newer player because generally your sustain will be an issue
Haunting Curse (Morph of Daedric Curse | Skill line: Daedric Summoning) - great damage over time and pairs well with blockade.
Unstable Wall Of Elements (Morph of Wall of Elements | Skill line: Destruction Staff) - Massive AoE damage that explodes and procs our Maelstrom weapon on our back bar.
Greater Storm Atronach (Morph of Summon Storm Atronach | Skill line: Daedric Summoning) - The best back bar ultimate we have. Use Elemental Rage from Destro staff for faster kills.
This is the best option for folks looking to solo arenas and Veteran dungeons
|Shoulders||light||Perfected False Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Chest||medium||Pillar of Nirn||Divines||Magicka|
|Legs||light||Perfected False Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Gloves||light||Perfected Fallse Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Boots||light||Perfected False Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Belt||light||Perfected False Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Weapon One||Inferno Staff||Pillar of Nirn||Precise||Shock|
|Weapon Two||Inferno Staff||Perfected Crushing Wall||Infused||Weapon Damage|
|Necklace||Pillar of Nirn||Infused||Spell Damage|
|Ring 1||Pale Order||Infused||Spell Damage|
|Ring 2||Pillar of Nirn||Infused||Spell Damage|
Desktop hover over gear for set bonuses, mobile click once for set bonuses
Slimecraw: obtained in Wayrest Sewers I Veteran dungeon and Maj Undaunted Vendor.
- Why? gives us highest 1pc critical chance
FLEX OPTIONS (if you switch to monster setup, drop the ring and replace it with Vicious or flex piece)
- Nerien’eth = good damage and great option for range DPS with direct damage.
- Zaan = great damage from a proc set considered best damage for melee builds.
- Balorgh = incredible for boss burns in Veteran Maelstrom Arena saving up ultimate for 500 burn.
- Iceheart = great survivability
Pillar of Nirn: obtained in Falkreath Hold dungeon.
- WHY? one of the hardest hitting, easiest proc sets in the game.
- Order’s Wrath = Crafted and best overall option for great damage
- Mechanical Acuity = the highest burst combined with Balorgh for VMA boss nukes
- Medusa = easy dungeon set if you’re not using minor force skill/buff
- Scathing Mage = High spell damage set from dungeons
Perfected False Gods: obtained in Veteran Sunspire trial or normal for non perfected
- WHY? provides incredible resource sustain and mobility but lacks overall damage. This is great for solo play or uncoordinated groups where you cannot relay on orbs/spears/sustain sets.
- Perfected Bahsei’s Mania = considered BiS for damage if you can run magicka low and keep it there.
- Robes of the Withered Hand = Base game, overland and a great replacement for False Gods to get you started.
- Bright-Throat’s Boast = decent sustain set if your using Witch Mother’s drink.
- Mother’s Sorrow = overland option base game easy to get and good damage
- Law of Julianos = decent craftable option
Perfected Crushing Wall: from Veteran Maelstrom Arena in Orsinium
- WHY? Increase your overall DPS massively due to wall of elements and light attack damage increase.
- Perfected Merciless Charge = must change out blockade for Stampede, considered meta, but struggle with sustain
- Willpower = extra 2pc set
Ring of the Pale Order: Mythic obtained by collecting five pieces:
- Bangkorai – Aurmine Ancestral Signet – Chests
- Alik’r Desert – Direnni Elegy Loop – Coldrock Diggings Delve Boss
- Wrothgar – Onix Accent Stones – All World Bosses
- Glenumbra – Order-Etched Gallery Rail – Bad Man’s Hallow Trash Monsters
- The Reach – Pale Order’s Golden Band – Nighthollow Keep (Blackreach: Arkthzand Cavern start north of map)
- (1 item) Restore 20% of the damage you deal as Health. This value is decreased by 4% per ally you are grouped with. You cannot be healed by anyone but yourself.
- Death Dealer’s Fete = high max stats and requires no effect but in combat
- Sea Serpent Coil = god tier damage if you can hang without Pale Order
- Markyn Ring of Majesty = set and forget boost to spell damage and armor
Meant for someone who's familiar with the game and wants strongest solo build without mythics or trials gear
|Weapon One||Inferno Staff||Mother's Sorrow||Precise||Shock|
|Weapon Two||Inferno Staff||Perfected Crushing Wall||Infused||Beserker|
|Necklace||Mother's Sorrow||Arcane||Spell Damage|
|Ring 1||Mother's Sorrow||Arcane||Spell Damage|
|Ring 2||Mother's Sorrow||Arcane||Spell Damage|
Desktop hover over gear for set bonuses, mobile click once for set bonuses
- Nerien’eth: obtained in Crypt of Hearts II.
- Necropotence: obtained in Rivenspire overland
- Mother’s Sorrow: obtained in Deshaan overland or from guild traders (delves, dolmans, world bosses, chest).
- Perfected Crushing Wall: from Veteran Maelstrom Arena in Orsinium
- Focus on replacing Necropotence body pieces with a trials set like Perfected False Gods found in trial Sunspire on veteran mode. Perfected False Gods will give you high damage and great sustain which is needed for solo play.
- Next, a great option for solo play is to run Mother’s Sorrow jewelry and front bar weapon with Pale Order ring to help with survivability, so focus on getting the Pale Order ring which can be found through scrying.
- Finally replace Nerien’eth with a slightly higher damage monster helm Slimecraw which can be found in Wayrest City Sewers I.
This setup is for someone who just started and doesn't have access to Monsters, Mythics, Trials gear
|Weapon One||Inferno Staff||Willpower||Precise||Flame|
|Weapon Two||Inferno Staff||Willpower||Infused||Berserker|
|Necklace||Withered Hand||Arcane||Magicka Recovery|
|Ring 1||Withered Hand||Arcane||Spell Damage|
|Ring 2||Withered Hand||Arcane||Spell Damage|
Desktop hover over gear for set bonuses, mobile click once for set bonuses
- Withered Hand: obtained in Alik’r Desert overland or from guild traders (delves, dolmans, world bosses, chest). WHY? If you’re new player, low champion points and lack trials gear, this gives great sustain and healing when killing mobs and is ideal for a newer player.
- Mother’s Sorrow: obtained in Deshaan overland or from guild traders (delves, dolmans, world bosses, chest). WHY? very easy set to obtain base game that adds tons of damage via extra critical chance.
- Willpower: obtained from Imperial City, Dungeon finder or from guild traders. WHY? very cheap and easy to obtain two piece that gives massive boost in magicka thus more damage and bigger shields.
- Work on replacing your Willpower weapons and Withered Hand jewelry with another 5pc set like Mother’s Sorrow which can be found in Deshaan overland. Then you’ll have 2 5 piece sets and a spot to free up for you to use a monster helm.
- Some good options for monster helms include Iceheart which is found in the dungeon DIrefrost Keep and is great for survivability. Another option is Nerien’eth which is found in Crypt of Hearts II is great for damage.
- Next work on replacing Mother’s Sorrow on the body with a set like Necropotence which is perfect for Sorcs. Found in Rivenspire overland, Necropotence gives you a strong buff when you have pets active
- Then work on replacing your back bar weapon with a Maelstrom weapon like Perfected Crushing Wall from Veteran Maelstrom Arena in Orsinium This will provide you with more damage than just double barring another set
- Power Stone
- Daedric Protection
- Expert Summoner
- Unholy Knowledge
- Blood Magic
- Expert Mage
- Tri Focus
- Penetrating Magic
- Elemental Force
- Ancient Knowledge
- Destruction Expert
- Light Armor Bounuses
- Light Armor Penalties
- Spell Warding
- Medium Armor Bounses
- Wind Walker
- Improved Sneak
- Undaunted Command
- Undaunted Mettle
- Intimidating Presence
- Banish the Wicked
- Skilled Tracker
- Bounty Hunter
- See the Unseen
- Spell Orb
- Concentrated Barrier
- Soul Shatter
- Soul Summons
- Soul Lock
Make sure to focus on maxing out the following passives skills as they add performance to your character:
- Class skill lines
- Armor skill lines
- Fighter’s Guild (optional)
- Mage’s Guild (optional)
- Undaunted (must have)
- Psijic (optional)
- Crafting Alchemy (Medicinal Use for potion duration)
- Alliance War
- World Vampire if using
Top tier damage for solo play due to passive critical damage bonus.
- Lunar Blessings
- Feline Ambush
all around great if you want to switch between magicka/stamina build though lacks resources sustain
- Resist Flame
Thief - Increases the Critical Strike rating by 1333. With 7 Divines armor pieces: Increases the Critical Strike rating by 2167.
Lover - Use this mundus stone if you are below 18,200 penetration with major breech up.
Fighting Finesse (Slottable) - 50Increases your Critical Damage and Critical Healing done by 4% per stage.
Deadly Aim (Slottable) - 50Increase your damage done with single target attacks by 3% per stage.
Master-at-Arms (Slottable) - 50Increases your damage done with direct damage attacks by 3% per stage.
Wrathful Strikes (Slottable) - 50Grants 41 Weapon and Spell Damage to your damaging abilities per stage.
Flex Spot(s): Flex Spot(s): If you can afford, take these passives as they add power without a slottable: Precision (20), Piercing (20), Eldritch Insight (20), Flawless Ritual (40), War Mage (30), Quick Recovery (20), Preparation (20), Elemental Aegis (20), Hardy (20), Blessed (20), Tireless Discipline (20), Battle Mastery (40), & Mighty (30)
Siphoning Spells (Slottable) - 50Restore 300 Magicka per stage, whenever you kill an enemy.
Boundless Vitality (Slottable) - 50Grants 28 Max Health per stage.
Rejuvenation (Slottable) - 50Grants 1.8 Health, Magicka, and Stamina Recovery per stage.
Fortified (Slottable) - 50Grants 34.6 Armor per stage.
Flex Spot(s): Flex Spot(s): If you can afford, take these passives as they add power without a slottable: Tumbling (30), Mystic Tenacity (10), Hero’s Vigor (20), Shield Master (10), Defiance (20), Hasty (16), Tireless Guardian (20), Fortification (30), Sprinter (20), Nimble Protector (6), Savage Defense (30), Bashing Brutality (20), & Piercing Gaze (30)
Steed's Blessing (Slottable) - 50Increases your out of combat Movement Speed by .4% per stage.
Rationer (Passives) - 50Adds 10 minutes to the duration of any food or drink that increases your character's stats per stage.
Liquid Efficiency (Slottable) - 50Whenever you use a potion or poison you have a 10% chance to not consume it.
Treasure Hunter (Slottable) - 50Increase the quality of items you find in treasure chests.
Flex Spot(s): Flex Spot(s): If you can afford, take these passives as they add power without a slottable: Breakfall (50), Wanderer (75), Steadfast Enchantment (50), Fortune’s Favor (40), Gilded Fingers (50), & Inspiration Boost (45)
Clockwork Citrus Filet
OVERALL: Increase Max Health by 3724, Health Recovery by 351, Max Magicka by 3458 and Magicka Recovery by 319 for 2 hours.
CHEAP: Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
Ghastly Eye Bowl
DPS Parse: Increase Max Magicka by 4256 and Magicka Recovery by 425 for 2 hours.
Thank you for reading ESO Solo Sorcerer Magica Build for PvE!
Check our ESO builds and guides. Also, consider watching me on Twitch, where you can ask me questions about my current builds or check out the YouTube Channel.