Table of Contents
Last Updated: 2023-03-23
Welcome to the ESO Solo Templar Magicka Build for PvE in The Elder Scrolls Online. This build is intended for the average player who wants to solo any content! Overland World bosses, some veteran dungeons and solo arenas.
Related: Top 5 Tips for Increasing Your DPS
Last updated March 23rd, 2023, update 37 and the Scribes of Fate DLC: The ESO Solo Magica Templar PvE Build is extremely survival. You have the tools to self-sustain and heal yourself. As a result, the build is perfect for playing without a dedicated healer or tank. We adjusted relevant item sets, Pillar of Nirn and Perfected False Gods, along with changing the most effective skills bar and champion points. The build lists a few gear options – for beginner players without access to all sets and/or DLCs and two best in-slot trial options. The setup suggested also assumes you want the most survivability, not damage. Adjust where you see fit or want more damage. Also, make sure to use sets and skills that work better for you and harder end-game content.
Solo Magica Templar Playstyle in PvE
Use the following rotation as the starter point. After, apply your buffs and cast the DoT skills on cooldown for the best, highest DPS. In total, the Damage over Time skills (DoTs) do more damage than your main spammable. Thus, they need to be cast less often and are easier to maintain, for example, The Degeneration from Mages Guild or the Barb Trap from Fighters Guild. Maintain DoTs and use your spammable skill as filler until you need to reapply the DoTS.
At certain percentages, replace your spammable with your in-class or weapon execute if you have one in this build. Executes are the skills that deal more damage the lower the health of the opponent becomes. Ideally, these are meant to replace your main spammable skill at anywhere between 35% (Radiant Oppression) all the way to 20% (Mages’ Fury). At a high level, execute skills become so strong that the lower the enemy’s health, the fewer DoTs you maintain because it does so much damage.
Use the healing skill when your health drops below 50% or the shield skill when you anticipate damage. Also, always use the suggested food and potions as they significantly increase your damage, survivability, and resource sustain.
If you run out of resources, do a heavy attack and return to your rotation. Remember that a heavy attack on off-balance enemies will return double the resources. Additionally, if you are a beginner or struggle with sustain, you can flex in the Consuming Trap skill instead of a DoT skill. The Consuming Trap gives you a flood of both resources when a target dies.
The Best Solo Magica Templar Build
In ESO, the Magica Templar is perfect for everyone who is looking for a simple-rotation survival class with a complete set of tools for solo PvE gameplay. So if the light warrior with solar abilities and following “pros” is what you are looking for, this build is for you!
- Simplistic and most effective
- Great resource sustain
- Easy gear sets
- Class ultimates are weak
- Not S Tier single target
Keep reading for all the details about Skills, Rotation, Gear, Passives and Champion points for the build! The Gear section will include options for Beginner, Intermediate, and Optimal set-ups, with plenty of flex options available for those still filling out their sticker books.
Front Bar (dual wield)
Front Bar Weapon Style Choices:
- Dual Wield = most raw damage due to Twin Blade and Blunt passive BUT lacks resource return off heavy attacks
- Flame Staff = good single target damage and has range for easier survival but less damage.
- Lighting Staff = decent option on for front bar because fully charge heavy attacking gives resources and increase AoE damage.
Inner Light (Morph of Magelight | Skill line: Mages Guild) - Slotting this skill increases our max magicka and giving us the spell critical buff on front bar. You'll want to keep this on almost all the time. The only time I don't keep it on is when I need mobility for a solo Veteran dungeon and I'll replace with toppling charge.
Purifying Light (Morph of Backlash | Skill line: Dawns Wrath) - This ability is your go to for damage and survivability. It works like a balloon soaking up damage (to a certain point) and exploding for that amount. Moreover, it places a healing circle at the enemies feet which is great when staying in melee range or providing off healing to the tank in your group. This also activates a key passive, Illuminate which grants minor sorcerery (10% more spell damage) and Prism, more ultimate.
Camouflaged Hunter (Morph of Expert Hunter | Skill line: Fighters Guild) - I slot Camo Hunter to buff up spell damage and minor berserk when playing solo critical from flank. Consider this your flex spot, Barb Trap if you dont have Psijic Order, a healer like Honor the Dead, Living Dark for survivability, another DoT like Ritual of Retribution, or whatever you like in this position.
Puncturing Sweep (Morph of Puncturing Strikes | Skill line: Aedric Spear) - Update 35 completely overhauled the effectiveness of jabs/sweeps. It's not longer the hardest hitting ability we have, actually its Blazing Spear. You can still use this in a solo context, but it will do much less damage and healing because the damage was nerfed, healing was nerfed, and burning light was nerfed.
Radiant Glory (Morph of Radiant Destruction | Skill line: Dawns Wrath) - An executable ability you want to use when the enemy is in execute range roughly 35% health replaces Sweeps as main spammable. The strength of this ability is how hard it hits single target. You still need to light attack weave in between applying it. This morph heals you though you do a little less damage.
Flawless Dawnbreaker (Morph of Dawnbreaker | Skill line: Fighters Guild) - The performance of DB (Dawnbreaker) is very good now that it grants massive spell damage boost of 300 for 20 seconds. Not to mention added spell damage from slayer passive. This is a great ultimate to use on front bar that’s low cost. Crescent Sweeps is a good flex spot if you don't have fighters guild.
Back Bar (Inferno Staff)
Back bar options:
- Inferno Staff = great all-around damage with Unstable Wall and fully charge heavy to sustain magicka.
- Lighting Staff = good for beginners who lack magicka sustain because it's easier to set off balance and fully charge heavy for resources.
- Two Handed = incredible damage with stampede ability though hard to sustain stamina.
Channeled Acceleration (Morph of Accelerate | Skill line: Psijic Order) - In solo instances, this is the best back bar buff for minor force plus use speed. If you don't have/don't like this skill, swap camo hunter for barb trap on the front. Put Channeled Focus here if you need more sustain, or Mystic Orbers/Ritual of Retribution for more AoE damage.
Elemental Susceptibility (Morph of Weakness to Elements | Skill line: Destruction Staff) - Update 36 saw a huge buff to this ability giving armor reduction and 3x status effects with high up time. This will do great damage solo or in a group.
Harness Magicka (Morph of Annulment | Skill line: Light Armor) - The trick with the shield is to use this both reactively and pre-emptively. Meaning, when you know you’ll take a lot of damage, pop it for 6 seconds of protection. Also when you get hit, pop it first then allow your healer to catch up or your rune to heal you. For newer players I highly recommend double barring this in the exact same skill position. Meaning 3 key on PC front and back that way you don’t have to fuss with constant bar swaps until it becomes muscle memory. Consider slotting Inner Light if parsing since you won't need a shield.
Blazing Spear (Morph of Spear Shards | Skill line: Aedric Spear) - Spear is your AoE damage tool that can proc resource sustain for others. It has a longer animation because its ground based so it's harder to pull off on back bar reliably. A strength of it you don’t need a target to cast it thus making it something you can pair with other DoTs as things spawns for crazy damage. I consider this a flex spot on my back bar because it’s longer duration cast time.
Unstable Wall Of Elements (Morph of Wall of Elements | Skill line: Destruction Staff) - Unstable does a lot of things like massive flame AoE damage and an explosion at the end. You can recast the ability to activate this explosion for a spammable AoE ability though we have sweeps. Commonly folks will use the VMA Maelstrom staff on their back bar with infused trait and spell damage glyph because it’ll proc the extra spell damage even when you swap bars. Not to mention it’ll add more damage to your light and heavy attacks which templar already has empower. Consider this your most important back bar buff.
Elemental Rage (Morph of Elemental Storm | Skill line: Destruction Staff) - Destro ultimate is my preferred back bar ultimate though you have some choices. The strength of the ultimate is the sheer damage in a small window with a massive radius. This is great in dungeons and arenas where trash mobs are a part of the general mechanics of the fight. Another option here and is used for parsing is Mages Guild shooting star. The strength of this ability is the amount of single target damage is staggering though it lacks the radius. Plus passives on the back bar along with ultimate return making it great for single target fights.
This is the best option for folks looking to solo arenas and Veteran dungeons
|Shoulders||light||Perfected False Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Chest||medium||Pillar of Nirn||Divines||Magicka|
|Legs||light||Perfected False Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Gloves||light||Perfected False Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Boots||light||Perfected False Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Belt||light||Perfected False Gods||Divines||Magicka|
|Weapon One||Dagger||Pillar of Nirn||Nirn > Precise||Poison|
|Secondary||Dagger||Pillar of Nirn||Charged||Flame|
|Weapon Two||Flame Staff||Perfected Crushing Wall||Infused||Weapon Damage|
|Necklace||Sea-Serpent's Coil||Infused||Spell Damage|
|Ring 1||Pillar of Nirn||Infused||Spell Damage|
|Ring 2||Pillar of Nirn||Infused||Spell Damage|
Desktop hover over gear for set bonuses, mobile click once for set bonuses
Slimecraw: obtained in Wayrest Sewers I Veteran dungeon and Maj Undaunted Vendor.
- Why? gives us highest 1pc critical chance
FLEX OPTIONS (if you switch to monster setup, drop the ring and replace it with Vicious or flex piece)
- Zaan = great damage from a proc set considered best damage for melee builds.
- Nerien’eth = good damage and great option for range DPS with direct damage.
- Balorgh = incredible for boss burns in Veteran Maelstrom Arena saving up ultimate for 500 burn.
- Iceheart = great survivability
Pillar of Nirn: obtained in Falkreath Hold dungeon.
- Why? the highest proc set damage in the game, and with Puncturing Sweeps hitting much weaker, I’ve made the switch.
- Deadly Strike = I no longer use this set because proc set damage is much higher. You can still try it but be warned.
- Order’s Wrath = Crafted and best overall option for great damage
- Mother’s Sorrow: = overland option base game easy to get and good damage
- Medusa = easy dungeon set if you’re not using barb trap
- Scathing Mage = High spell damage set from dungeons
Perfected False Gods: obtained in Veteran Sunspire trial or normal for non perfected
- WHY? provides incredible resource sustain and mobility but lacks overall damage. This is great for solo play or uncoordinated groups where you cannot relay on orbs/spears/sustain sets.
- Perfected Bahsei’s Mania = considered BiS for damage if you can run magicka low and keep it there
- Robes of the Withered Hand = Base game, overland and a great replacement for False Gods to get you started
- Bright-Throat’s Boast = decent sustain set if your using Witch Mother Drink
- Law of Julianos = decent craftable option
Perfected Crushing Wall: from Veteran Maelstrom Arena in Orsinium
- WHY? Increase your overall DPS massively due to wall of elements and light attack damage increase.
- Perfected Merciless Charge = must change out blockade for Stampede, considered meta, but struggle with sustain
- Willpower = extra 2pc set
Sea-Serpent’s Coil: obtained through ESO Mythics/antiquities system. You need 5 items to be able to create the Mythic item. 5 Leads are here:
- WHY? unbelievable damage solo assuming you can survive well.
- Pale Order = best heals per second solo in the game
- Death Dealer’s Fete = high max stats and requires no effect but in combat
- Markyn Ring of Majesty = set and forget boost to spell damage and armor
Meant for someone who's familiar with the game and wants strongest solo build without mythics or trials gear
|Weapon One||Daggers||Deadly Strikes||Nirn > Precise||Poison|
|Weapon Two||Inferno Staff||Perfected Crushing Wall||Infused||Berserker Enchant|
|Necklace||Deadly Strikes||Infused||Spell Damage|
|Ring 1||Deadly Strikes||Infused||Spell Damage|
|Ring 2||Deadly Strikes||Infused||Spell Damage|
Desktop hover over gear for set bonuses, mobile click once for set bonuses
- Nerien’eth: obtained in Crypt of Hearts II. Why? incredible single target and AoE. Works in every situation.
- Overwhelming Surge: obtained in Tempest Island dungeon base game. WHY? acts as god tier sustain without needing trials gear and does damage playing in melee range.
- Deadly Strike: obtained in Cyrodiil, PvP Vendor Bruma Town or from traders. WHY? Makes your build incredibly simple and easy without having to baby sit stacks on your front bar and still do great damage.
- Perfected Crushing Wall: from Veteran Maelstrom Arena in Orsinium. WHY? Increase your overall DPS massively due to wall of elements and light attack damage increase.
- A great option for solo play is to run Deadly Strikes jewelry and front bar weapon with Pale Order ring to help with survivability.
- Next, focus on replacing Overwhelming Surge body pieces with a trials set like Perfected False Gods found in trial Sunspire on veteran mode. Perfected False Gods will give you high damage and great sustain which is needed for solo play. Finally replace Nerien’eth with a slightly higher damage monster helm Slimecraw which can be found in Wayrest City Sewers I.
This setup is for someone who just started and doesn't have access to Monsters, Mythics, Trials gear
|Weapon One||Dagger||Willpower||Precise > Any||Flame|
|Weapon Two||Lighting Staff||Willpower||Infused > Charged||Berserker|
|Necklace||Withered Hand||Arcane||Magicka Recovery|
|Ring 1||Withered Hand||Arcane||Magicka Recovery|
|Ring 2||Withered Hand||Arcane||Spell Damage|
Desktop hover over gear for set bonuses, mobile click once for set bonuses
- Withered Hand: obtained in Alik’r Desert overland or from guild traders (delves, dolmans, world bosses, chest). WHY? If you’re new player, low champion points and lack trials gear, this gives great sustain and healing when killing mobs and is ideal for a newer player.
- Mother’s Sorrow: obtained in Deshaan overland or from guild traders (delves, dolmans, world bosses, chest). WHY? very easy set to obtain base game that adds tons of damage via extra critical chance.
- Willpower: obtained from Imperial City, Dungeon finder or from guild traders. WHY? very cheap and easy to obtain two piece that gives massive boost in magicka thus more damage and bigger shields.
- Work on replacing your Willpower weapons and Withered Hand jewelry with another 5pc set like Deadly Strikes a PVP set which can be found in Cyrodiil. Then you’ll have 2 5 piece sets and a spot to free up for you to use a monster helm.
- Some good options for monster helms include Iceheart which is found in the dungeon DIrefrost Keep and is great for survivability. Another option is Nerien’eth which is found in Crypt of Hearts II is great for damage.
- Next, work on replacing Mother’s Sorrow body pieces with the set Overwhelming Surge found in Tempest Island dungeon.
- Then work on replacing your back bar weapon with a Maelstrom weapon like Perfected Crushing Wall from Veteran Maelstrom Arena in Orsinium This will provide you with more damage than just double barring another set
- Piercing Spear
- Spear Wall
- Burning Light
- Balanched Warrior
- Enduring Rays
- Restoring Light
- Sacred Ground
- Light Weaver
- Master Ritualist
- Dual Wield Expert
- Controlled Fury
- Twin Blade and Blunt
- Tri Focus
- Penetrating Magic
- Elemental Force
- Ancient Knowledge
- Destruction Expert
- Light Armor Bounuses
- Light Armor Penalties
- Spell Warding
- Medium Armor Bounses
- Wind Walker
- Improved Sneak
- Intimidating Presence
- Banish the Wicked
- Skilled Tracker
- Bounty Hunter
- Persuasive Will
- Mage Adept
- Everlasting Magic
- Magicka Controller
- Might of the Guild
- Undaunted Command
- Undaunted Mettle
Make sure to focus on maxing out the following passives skills as they add performance to your character:
- Class skill lines
- Medium armor skill lines
- Fighter’s Guild (optional)
- Mage’s Guild (optional)
- Undaunted (must have)
- Psijic (optional)
- Crafting Alchemy (Medicinal Use for potion duration)
- Alliance War
- World Vampire if using
Top tier damage for solo play due to passive critical damage bonus.
- Lunar Blessings
- Feline Ambush
all around great if you want to switch between magicka/stamina build though lacks resources sustain
- Resist Flame
Thief - Increases the Critical Strike rating by 1333. With 7 Divines armor pieces: Increases the Critical Strike rating by 2167
Lover - Use this to reach 18,200 penetration with major breech active.
Fighting Finesse (Slottable) - 50Increases your Critical Damage and Critical Healing done by 4% per stage.
Wrathful Strikes (Slottable) - 50Grants 41 Weapon and Spell Damage to your damaging abilities per stage.
Master-at-Arms (Slottable) - 50Increases your damage done with direct damage attacks by 3% per stage.
Deadly Aim (Slottable) - 50Increase your damage done with single target attacks by 3% per stage.
Flex Spot(s): Flex Spot(s): If you can afford, take these passives as they add power without a slottable: Precision (20), Piercing (20), Eldritch Insight (20), Flawless Ritual (40), War Mage (30), Quick Recovery (20), Preparation (20), Elemental Aegis (20), Hardy (20), Blessed (20), Tireless Discipline (20), Battle Mastery (40), & Mighty (30)
Siphoning Spells (Slottable) - 50Restore 300 Magicka per stage, whenever you kill an enemy.
Boundless Vitality (Slottable) - 50Grants 28 Max Health per stage.
Rejuvenation (Slottable) - 50Grants 1.8 Health, Magicka, and Stamina Recovery per stage.
Fortified (Slottable) - 50Grants 34.6 Armor per stage.
Flex Spot(s): Flex Spot(s): If you can afford, take these passives as they add power without a slottable: Tumbling (30), Mystic Tenacity (10), Hero’s Vigor (20), Shield Master (10), Defiance (20), Hasty (16), Tireless Guardian (20), Fortification (30), Sprinter (20), Nimble Protector (6), Savage Defense (30), Bashing Brutality (20), & Piercing Gaze (30)
Gifted Rider (Passives) - 100Increases your Mount Speed by 2% per stage.
War Mount (Slottable) - 120Improves your mastery with mounts, removing all mount Stamina costs outside of combat.
Treasure Hunter (Slottable) - 75Increase the quality of items you find in treasure chests.
Steed's Blessing (Slottable) - 50Increases your out of combat Movement Speed by .4% per stage.
Flex Spot(s): Flex Spot(s): If you can afford, take these passives as they add power without a slottable: Breakfall (50), Wanderer (75), Steadfast Enchantment (50), Fortune’s Favor (40), Gilded Fingers (50), & Inspiration Boost (45)
Clockwork Citrus Filet
OVERALL: Increase Max Health by 3724, Health Recovery by 351, Max Magicka by 3458 and Magicka Recovery by 319 for 2 hours.
CHEAP: Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
Ghastly Eye Bowl
DPS Parse: Increase Max Magicka by 4256 and Magicka Recovery by 425 for 2 hours.
Essence of Spell Power
Grants major sorcery with increases spell damage by 20% for 47.6 seconds. Grants major prophecy which grants you 2191 spell critical rating for 47.6 seconds. Restore 7582 magicka immediately. Grants you major intellect which increases your magicka recovery by 20% for 47.6. Potions have a 45 second cool down and make sure you have three points into medicinal use passive in alchemy crafting.
Thank you for reading ESO Solo Templar Magica Build for PvE!
Check our ESO builds and guides. Also, consider watching me on Twitch, where you can ask me questions about my current builds or check out the YouTube Channel.