In Baldur’s Gate 3, Melf’s First Staff is a quarterstaff you can purchase during Act 1 – This short Guide explains everything you need to know about Melf’s First Staff in BG3.
Melf’s First Staff
Melf’s First Staff is the best early game staff because it gives your spellcaster a free Level 2 spell which you can cast once per Long Rest. Additionally, this staff has +1 spell attack roll/spell saving throws so it passively boost your power regardless if you use the spell.
Here are all Melf’s First Staff features in BG3:
- Weapon Type: Quarterstaff
- Damage: 1d8 (1d6)+5 Bludgeoning
- Requirements: Simple Weapons Proficiency
- Rarity: Uncommon
- Location: Purchased from Blurg at the Myconid Colony in Underdark, Act 1
- Weight: 1.8 kg
- Value: 100
- Arcane Enchantment: You gain a +1 bonus to Spell Save DC and Spell Attack Rolls.
- Melf’s Acid Arrow: Shoot a green arrow that covers the target and the ground with acid. Deals 4~16 Acid damage immediately and 2~8 Acid damage at the end of the target’s turn. One per Long Rest.
- Classes with Simple Weapons Proficiency: Druids, Sorcerers, Wizards
- Companions Who Can Use This Weapon: Gale, Halsin, Jaheira
- Recommended Builds for Melf’s First Staff: Circle of Spores Druid, Abjuration Wizard and College of Lore Bard
How to Get Melf’s First Staff in Baldur’s Gate 3
You can purchase Melf’s First Staff from a vendor named Blurg who can be found in the Myconid Colony in the Underdark. There are several ways to get into the Underdark but probably the shortest way to get to Blurg is to use the Well found in the Blighted Village. Be aware that at least one of your characters will need to pass a DC10 Intelligence check in order for the well to become visible. Once down inside the cavern like area there will be lots of spider enemies, in addition to a Phase Spider Matriach you can choose to fight.
You’ll want to head towards the Whispering Depths waypoint, which almost directly to the west. You should see an open chasm nearby. Cast Feather Fall or consume a Feather Fall potion BEFORE jumping in. Doing so will let you float safely down into the Underdark. From there, head northwest and you should find the Myconid Colony. You’ll have to pass a DC 5 Charisma check in order to convince them that you mean no harm, and they’ll let you visit the Colony. You’ll find Blurg just a little to the north of the Colony waypoint.
If this is your first time speaking to Blurg there will be some story dialogue and an interesting character to meet. The conversation may end automatically, but you can immediately click to speak to Blurg again and get the option to ask if he has anything interesting to trade.
Looking For More About Baldur’s Gate 3?
Thank you for reading How to Get Melf’s First Staff in Baldur’s Gate 3 Guide. We provide the latest news and create guides for Baldur’s Gate 3. Also, watch me play games on Twitch or visit my YouTube channel!