Welcome to our guide for Hogwarts Legacy – In the Shadow of the Study Quest! Hogwarts Legacy is a highly anticipated single player, action RPG with an endless amount of places to explore and magical spells to learn! Read on below to follow this Hogwarts Legacy quest!
Last updated February 22, 2023 – Added table of contents, clarified/simplified text instructions
In the Shadow of the Study Quest
This is one of three side quests where you can unlock one of the Unforgiveable Curses! This quest will unlock the Crucio curse.
- Meet Sebastian outside the Slytherin common room
- He wants to learn more about the Dark Arts but Ominis won’t tell him where Slytherin’s Scriptorium is
- Go with Sebastian to meet Ominis
- When you find him Sebastian will point him out, and hang back while you approach
Finding the Scriptorium
- Open Slytherin’s door
- Down both hallways you’ll see tall pillars with braziers on top. There are two across from each other down on way, and a single down the other. Light all three with Confringo and the secret door will open
- Explore beyond the doorway
- At the bottom of the stairs, cast Reparo on the debris on the floor
- To the left of the relief is a note from Noctua Gaunt
- Speak with Ominis about the hissing
- He’ll explain about Parseltougue
- Wait for Ominis to open the door
Locks and Gate Symbols
- Find a way through
- Use Lumos if you’re having trouble seeing
- There is a locked gate immediately to your right. Take a look at the two symbols in the center. These are the symbols you will want to match on the dial locks in order to open it.
- Right next to that door you’ll see a snake statue lock in a recess. Once the other stop speaking, you can interact with it.
- You’ll need to rotate the top and bottom dials to unlock the gate next to you on the right. Make sure the symbols match what you saw on the gate.
- Don’t go through this gate just yet. Cast Revelio and then Lumos. Make your way down the hallway and around the corner to the right to find another locked gate. Take note of the symbols
- Then go back to the left and crouch under the half open gate. Inside to the right is another snake lock mechanism. Use this to match the symbols of the gate you just looked at.
- Crouch down again and go through the second gate you just opened.
- Turn right and there is a third gate – take a close look at the symbols.
- Now you will need to go back through the very first gate you opened in order to find the snake locking mechanism for this third gate.
- Grab another of Noctua Gaunt’s notes just to the right of the mechanism
- Then, just to the right of where the note is, you’ll see a ledge you can grab hold of and climb up. Walk down and around and you’ll come back through the first gate.
- Return via crouching to the room you access under the half closed gate. Hit Revelio and you’ll find another note off to your right
- Finally, return to the room with the third gate. Cast Revelio again and you’ll find yet another note. Then go through the third gate towards the sealed door. You will find the final note on the floor beside it.
- Read the last note
- It’s important to read the final note because it provides you with the information on what you will need to do to proceed
- Speak to Sebastian
- He explains what needs to be done and asks that you speak to Ominis about this
- You can agree, or refuse and tell Sebastian he should speak to his friend
- Speak to Ominis
- He says to cast the spell one must mean it and he never could. One of you will have to do it
- Speak to Sebastian
- You’ll have three options in the dialogue, to refuse to learn the curse, to say you want to learn but Sebastian must cast it on you, or that you are willing to learn and will cast it on him
- Search Slytherin’s Scriptorium
- Cast Revelio to highlight where important items and chests are
- Slytherin’s Spellbook is straight ahead from the entrance
- Give the book to Sebastian
- Leave the Scriptorium
- You can exit by interacting with the primitive obelisk which looks like a face with a snake coming out of the round mouth
Thanks for following our guide for Hogwarts Legacy – In the Shadow of the Study Quest! We’ll be posting walkthroughs, guides, combat builds and more for Hogwarts Legacy, so keep your eyes out for more! Deltia will also be streaming the game at launch – you can watch him at https://www.twitch.tv/deltiasgaming
Top Hogwarts Legacy Articles:
- Hogwarts Legacy Builds
- Hogwarts Legacy Quest Walkthroughs
- All Spells in Hogwarts Legacy
- Hogwarts Legacy Full Talent Guide
- Unlock all the Mounts in Hogwarts Legacy