The Viconia’s Walking Fortress is a Legendary Shield, and you can get it in Act 3 as soon as you arrive at Baldur’s Gate – This short Guide Explains everything you need to know about it in BG3.
Viconia’s Walking Fortress – Legendary Shield
Viconia’s Walking Fortress, a legendary shield in Baldur’s Gate 3, stands out for its exceptional defensive attributes and suitability for various character classes. This shield offers the highest Armour class (AC) bonus of +3, granting outstanding protection against incoming attacks. Moreover, it provides an advantage on saving throws against spells, making it an invaluable asset in resisting magical effects.
One of the shield’s features is “Rebuke of the Mighty,” an ability that punishes foes for daring to strike the wielder. When an enemy lands a hit, they not only suffer Force damage but also face the risk of being knocked prone, essentially robbing them of their turn in combat.
Viconia’s Walking Fortress also provides two potent defensive spells. The first, “Reflective Spell,” is a game-changer, allowing you to reflect any projectiles aimed at you back to their source for two turns. This ability is particularly effective at shutting down ranged attackers and turning their own damage against them. The shield also provides “Warding Bond,” a protective spell that grants resistance to all damage and boosts Armor Class and Saving Throws by +1. However, it’s essential to note that any damage sustained by the bonded character also affects the spellcaster.
This legendary shield excels in countering the vulnerabilities of the Fighter class, which often struggles against ranged spellcasters capable of disabling and immobilizing them. To maximize your effectiveness in Baldur’s Gate 3, prioritize obtaining Viconia’s Walking Fortress during Act 3. This shield will significantly enhance your survivability and combat power, making it a top-tier choice for a cleric, fighter, druid, or paladin. However, it will work fantastic with almost any class.
You can equip it to your character’s off-hand weapon slot in the inventory, providing additional bonuses and buffs. The user needs Shield proficiency or suffers penalties while wearing the shield. You can equip it on any class, companion, or character with Shield proficiency.
Viconia’s Walking Fortress Features
The Viconia’s Walking Fortress features in Baldur’s Gate 3:
- Weapon Type: Shield
- Armour: +3 AC
- Requirements: Shield proficiency
- Weight: 2.7 kg
- Value: 760
- Rarity: Legendary
- Location: House of Grief, Baldur’s Gate City, Act 3
- Rebuke of the Mighty: When a foe hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction, dealing it 2-8 Force damage and knock it Prone unless they succeed a DEX Save.
- Spellguard: You gain Advantage on Saving Throws against Spells. Spell Attack Rolls against you have Disadvantage.
- Reflective Spell: A protective shell envelops you. It reflects any projectiles targeted at you back to their point of origin.
- Warding Bond: Ward an ally. They gain Resistance to all damage and a +1 bonus to their Armour Class and Saving Throws. Each time the target takes damage, the spellcaster takes the same amount of damage.
- Classes with Shield Proficiency: Barbarian, Bard (subclass College of Valour), Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger
- Classes that Typically use a Shield In BG3: cleric, fighter, druid, and paladin.
- Races with Shield Proficiency: Human, Half-Elf
- Shield Proficiency Feat: Moderately Armored provides Medium Armor and Shields expertise.
How to Get the Viconia’s Walking Fortress in Baldur’s Gate 3
To obtain Viconia’s Walking Fortress Legendary Shield in Baldur’s Gate 3, you must kill Viconia DeVir and loot the items from her body in the House of Grief during Act 3, which is part of Daughter of Darkness, Shadowheart’s Companion Quest.
Here is how to get the Viconia’s Walking Fortress in BG3:
- Start Act 3 in Rivington Village with Shadowheart at your party.
- Talk to Ferg Drogher near Arfur’s Mansion (X:45; Y:-102).
- Proceed to the next area and travel to Baldur’s Gate via the Wyrmway Fortress.
- From the Basilisk Gate, head northwest until you reach the House of Grief (X:-269, Y:-4).
- Speak to Mirie and take the Mapping of the Heart test.
- Follow Shadowheart to a back room for a cutscene.
- After the cutscene, head to the Exposed Secret Stairway.
- Follow the corridors straight to the Shar temple.
- Engage in dialogue with Viconia DeVir.
- Defeat the Shar worshipers and Viconia DeVir.
- Kill Viconia to get the Walking Fortress Legendary Shield in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Start the Act 3 and Find Ferg Drogher
As soon as you commence Act 3, you’ll find yourself in Rivington Village. Ensure that you have Shadowheart in your party and head left to encounter Ferg Drogher on the road southeast of Arfur’s Mansion (X:45; Y:-102). You and Shadowheart won’t uncover details about her parents, but Ferg will mention the House of Grief. Depending on your decisions, you’ll engage in two different dialogues. Still, I advise you to let Shadowheart handle the conversation if possible. If Shadowheart has abandoned Shar, Ferg will express his disapproval and tell you he has lost a bet seeing Shadowheart there. Otherwise, the dialogue is similar, and if Shadowheart is still loyal to Shar, he will also point you to the House of Grief. Regardless, your next destination is the House of Grief.
Travel to the House of Grief
From Rivington, you need to go to Baldur’s Gate, a natural progression in BG3, and the next step is to get Viconia’s Walking Fortress from House of Grief. You can go there now or first explore the area or embark on quests and gather items here. When ready, reach the city through the Wyrmway Fortress, arriving at the Basilisk Gate.
From the Basilisk Gate, head northwest until you reach the House of Greef (X:-269, Y:-4), situated west of Baldur’s Gate. You should cross a wooden bridge to get there (check the map for reference). Inside, you’ll encounter Mirie behind the counter. If Shadowheart is at your party, she will recognize her instantly. Mirie will inform you about the Mapping of the Heart test, leading you to a back room through a double door.
Sit on the stone bench, a cutscene will begin, and the hooded feature will ask about your purpose in House of Grief. Let Shadowheart take the Mapping of the Heart test. The conversation between the two women will reveal it’s only a projection of Mother Superior Viconia DeVir. Because she is a recognizable character from previous Baldur’s Gate 1&2 games, there will be additional dialogue if you have Minsc or Jaheira in your party.
As soon as she disappears, you’ll notice an Exposed Secret Stairway. Now, you can locate Mother Superior in person to acquire Viconia’s Walking Fortress.
Find Mother Superior
The path ahead unveils more about Shadowheart’s past. Pay attention to her banter during exploration and search the area; both side rooms contain items to collect and two locked chests with 20 DC Dexterity checks. Enter the grand Shar temple, where Viconia awaits in the center of the main chamber. If Shadowheart has abandoned Shar, you’ll be presented with a choice:
“Viconia De’Vir: The artefact was your last chance to prove yourself – and you squander it.”
- Shadowheart has nothing to prove to the likes of you. (Choosing it will give you the +5 points of Shadowheart approval.)
- This was a mistake. We shouldn’t have come here.
- Why is the artefact so important to you?
- Keep Silent
The first option earns you approval from Shadowheart, while the third provides more insight into the artifact and Shar followers’ motives, but choices 2-4 won’t earn approval. Regardless of Shadowheart’s alignment, in the final set of choices, you must decide: will you attack or offer Shadowheart to Mother Superior?
- She’s all yours.
Choosing the first option results in disapproval from various companions: Lae’zel -5, Gale -5, Shadowheart -20, Karlach -5, Minthara -5, Minsc -5, Halsin -5. The second “never” choice initiates a challenging fight between your team, Viconia, and all Shar worshipers in the temple.
How to Defeat Viconia DeVir and Shar’s Followers
You’ll start this fight with the high-ground advantage, and you can move back to put some distance between you and your enemies. The Shar’s followers will be nicely stacked together, so any AoE spell, arrows, or attacks will help you deal with more of them at once. They will cast a Darkness spell, an area effect that will prevent your range weapon characters and spellcasters from far attacks, so move away from the affected area to avoid issues.
After defeating your foes, Viconia will still be alive, and you can interrogate her. Your choices include:
- Make it quick.
- No, Shadowheart. We’ve won. You don’t need anything from her.
- Let’s kill her.
Choosing “make it quick” prompts Viconia to reveal more about Shadowheart’s past, leading to further dialogue options. To obtain Viconia’s Walking Fortress Legendary Shield in Baldur’s Gate 3, you must kill Viconia DeVir and loot the items from her body. She will also have other remarkable gear, including Viconia’s Priestess Robe and Handmaiden’s Mace.
That’s all you need to know about Viconia’s Walking Fortress in BG3! It is undeniably the premier choice for defensive capabilities.
Looking For More About Baldur’s Gate 3?
Thank you for reading How to Get the Viconia’s Walking Fortress in Baldur’s Gate 3 – Legendary Quarterstaff Guide. We provide the latest news and create guides for Baldur’s Gate 3. Also, watch me play games on Twitch or visit my YouTube channel!