In Redfall, players take on the role of heroes, premade characters with customization options, backgrounds, and unique abilities, this guide introduces Jacob Boyer, his strengths, and the best builds.
The dark and mysterious island of Redfall isn’t probably for “good Vampires” fans. The bloodthirsty monsters are evil and merciless enemies. Once calm and safe Redfall island in Massachusetts now suffers the consequences of a failed scientific experiment that created a legion of vampires who have taken over the town – blocking out the sun and cutting off the remaining citizens from the outside world.
Players take on the role of heroes, four playable characters, each with a unique backstory, abilities and many other customization options. In an open world like Redfall, your hero characters must collect gear and complete quests to survive cultists and blood-suckers waiting for them everywhere. This guide presents Jacob Boyer’s background and motivations. Also, it will help you understand his strengths and abilities to play optimally with this unique hero character.
Related: Ranking: What Are The Best Redfall Heroes – Strengths & Backgrounds Guide
Redfall Jacob Boyer Guide
The Redfall offers various abilities and customization for heroes, making Jacob Boyer’s strengths unique and specialized. With distinct backgrounds and motivations, all heroes have the same purpose. Unite in the battle against bloodthirsty vampires in the game’s open world.
Customization in Redfall includes abilities, attributes, gear, upgrades and weapons.
- Weapons, upgrades and gear will directly improve and make your characters stronger.
- The Redfall abilities can be upgraded using skill points, which players can earn by completing main story missions and side missions found throughout the game’s world.
- Additionally, players can boost their heroes with skills upgrades and attributes to customize them further and make them more powerful. Firstly we have the health recovery that determines the time your health will regenerate after your character takes damage. Secondly is storage size, you can increase this attribute to carry more resources such as ammunition, lockpicks and rewire kits.
Who is Jacob Boyer in Redfall? – Background and Strengths
Jacob Boyer is an ex-military and Special Forces unit sharpshooter. With an extremely sharp eye and exceptional war and weapon knowledge, he can be an incredibly dangerous player on the battlefield.
He was sent to Redfall Island just before the sun darkened as part of an elite private security force. Unknown and grim events separated him from his unit. Jacob went rogue, forced to fight and survive on the Redfall streets.
His Special Forces training makes him a supernatural disciplinary killing machine, neutralizing Vamipres and Cultists with his loyal Raven Companion
Each hero is distinct in Redfall, and Jacob’s abilities shine in solo stealth playthroughs, thanks to his very scout-type abilities and long-range playstyle. However, he is even more useful in the group providing support to the entire team. In Redfall, customization options include abilities, attributes, gear, upgrades and weapons.
Being able to use your powers and tools in interesting combinations and then layering those with other players with different powers and tools makes for even more fun and unexpected ways to approach the world of Redfall.Art Director Karen Segars
You can build your hero characters into specific playstyles and create many diverse team lineups if you’re playing co-op. And because in Redfall, you can use any character regardless of your teammates’ choices, as a group, you can all play as Jacob, focus on specific abilities and weapon setups, and make very specialized team builds. Each teammate’s Jacob can be built in a distinct way with different upgrades, weapons, and gear.
The Redfall abilities can be upgraded using skill points, which players can earn by completing main story missions and side missions found throughout the game’s world. Jacob’s tools and abilities are designed to play in stealth and from a distance. After all, Arkane game is well known for its stealth mechanics, and in Redfall, it’s recognized in Jacob’s Boyer.
What are the best Jacob’s Build and Skills in Redfall?
He is able to take down groups of enemies from long range. At the same time, his raven provides additional support and recon to mark enemies from a distance on the battlefield and even behind the walls. Additionally, Jacob owns a device that allows him to become invisible and surprise the enemies or pass by them. With skill updates, he can even give invisibility to teammates
- Raven Ability – Psychic bird and Jacob’s companion that marks enemies. A red outline highlights enemies.
- Cloak Ability – You can activate a cloaking device and become invisible (10 seconds). However, you can perform a limited amount of shots before the cloak breaks.
- Heartstopper Ability – A supernatural and ghostly sniper rifle that snaps onto the enemies and fires deadly headshots.
Pulling off his biggest advantage attacks early in the game can be difficult. One wrong step, and you are overwhelmed by a big group of enemies. However, he is great at long-range combat, dealing massive single-target damage with his ultimate ability, lacking only a good AoE skill upgrade. He is also a fantastic choice if you like stealth and assassin-type combat. His skill upgrades make him an obvious preference for group play to pump up overall team damage.
Best Weapons and Equipment for Jacob Boyer
In Redfall, Jacob Boyer, just like all characters, can use all weapons. However, the equipment they provide in battle is sometimes unique. The Redfall Gear includes Weapons, Stakes, Medkits and more.
He can carry up to three weapons, so you will want to equip him with the best possible tier guns, which are black, green, blue, purple and golden – being the best. Also, guns drop on specific “levels” that reflect players’ levels.
Related: All Redfall Weapons and Gear
We recommend using the following weapons when playing as Jacob:
- Sniper Rifle
- Pretty obvious choice. Jacob’s skills and range ultimate support and benefit from range playstyle.
- Swap to shotgun whenever you enter a tight space, house or corridor. A big part of combat in Redfall happens in close-range scenarios, so Jacob needs this weapon. It’s also crucial when enemies approach you too close.
- Stake Launcher
- The best weapon to deal with vampires. When Jacob fights those bloodthirsty monsters, swap to Stake Launcher
This weapon loadout easily deals with all enemies and every range. Don’t forget to equip Jacob with Stakes. You never know when you may need them against vampires. You can read more about the best weapons against vampires in our Guide.
Best Abilities and Skill Upgrades for Jacob Boyer
The best builds are the balance between survivability and damage. This build is designed to play the Redfall’s story solo on any difficulty. (We will update the page with more builds soon.)
You will have only a limited amount of skill points, and the cloak is your most important ability solo. Raven is a fun little toy to play with, but I wouldn’t spend any points on it and instead focus on Heartstopper Ultimate.
Heartstopper deals massive damage, and you can buff this ability further to provide extra damage to your group. It’s like an additional ghosty sniper rifle with 100% headshot and the critical chance. The more bullets it shoots and last, the more enemies go down.
Raven is not worth investing in. If you like it, go for it, but it’s simply not worth it for the min/max build. You’ll be spending points and losing a ton of damage and survivability that other skills can provide you.
The cloaking ability, as mentioned, is the best Jacobs ability, you’ll use it almost on cooldown, and if further buffed with abilities, it provides cover and allows you to escape easily. Invisibility for teammates is also a fun little skill that you can take if you play with a friend. In the build’s list below, we suggested skills crucial for solo play.
Recommended skill upgrades for Jacob based on his level. This skill loadout focuses entirely on stealth at the beginning of the game. It will save your life and allow you to do massive burst damage and it’s his best ability. During mid-level, you start to focus on his “super” Heartstopper for huge damage. Then you transition to the final skill line after taking three passives. This will give you three complete skills maxed out and important survival skills.
- Camouflage Field (1 skill point)
- Battery Efficiency (1 skill point)
- Vicious Strike (1 skill point)
- Transfusion (1 skill point)
- Hidden Strike (2 skill points)
- Battery Recharge (2 skill points)
- Save Air Supercavitation (2 skill points)
- Perfect Ghost (3 skill points)
- Quick Recovery I (1 skill point)
- Quick Recovery II (1 skill point)
- Sharpshooter (or Drill Instructor for group) (1 skill point)
- Shock and Awe (1 skill point)
- Extended Magazine (1 skill point)
- Adrenaline Rush (2 skill points)
- Flat Line (2 skill points)
- Heart Burst (2 skill points)
- And You’re to Blame (3 skill points)
- Pervasive Memory (1 skill point)
- Early Bird (1 skill point)
- Bird’s Eye (1 skill point)
- Deadeye (2 skill points)
- Killer Corvus (2 skill points)
- Marked for Death (2 skill points)
- Unkindness (3 skill points)
- Flex skill (ammo skill)
Important skills you can take if you play or harder difficulty or need more survivability:
- You can take Transfusion and Adrenaline Rush for healing and healing over time, both great options
Skills that will dramatically increase your ultimate damage:
- Extended Magazine and Flatline skills will extend the duration of the Heartstopper ultimate ability
More Redfall Guides and Articles
Thank you for reading Redfall: Jacob Boyer Guide and Best Builds! Check our other builds and guides. Also, consider watching me on Twitch, where you can ask me questions or check out the YouTube Channel.