Hogwarts Legacy: The Best Gear Traits Ranked shares the most powerful traits for gear to aid your character’s power and equipment.
The game Hogwarts Legacy features a deep crafting system using the Enchanted Loom within your room of requirement. Within this room, using the loom, you can augment and enchant your gear. Through various material collections, challenges, and bandit camps, one can enhance their Hogwarts Legacy build. In this guide, Hogwarts Legacy: The Best Gear Traits Ranked, we explain our top 10 favorite traits you should use and why.
What Are the Best Traits in Hogwarts Legacy
The best gear traits in Hogwarts Legacy are Concentration, Ancient Magic Focus, and Herbology. Concentration increases all of your spell’s damage and is useful for nearly everything you do. Ancient Magic Focus allows you to cast Ancient Magic spells more frequently. Herbology allows you to use plants for incredible damage and focus on potions and consumables.
Here are the 10 best gear traits in Hogwarts Legacy:
- Concentration: Increased damage of all Damage spells.
- Ancient Magic Focus: Increased Ancient Magic Meter fill rate.
- Herbology: Increased damage by all plants
- Unforgivable: Increased damage dealt to cursed targets.
- Ancient Magic: Increased damage from Ancient Magic.
- Explosive: Increased damage with Bombarda spell.
- Disarming: Increased damage with Expelliarmus spell.
- Scorching: Increased damage with the Incendio spell.
- Fangs: Increased Chinese Chomping Cabbages damage.
- Ambush: Increased spell damage while concealed by Disillusionment.
How Gear Traits Work
The gear you find item quality and rarity determine the number of traits you can slot. The maximum is Legendary, with three levels of traits you can select. As you progress in the game, and level up, you will continue to find better quality items with more trait slots.
After you unlock crafting, you will need to collect materials and associated achievements to unlock specific traits. Most of the traits on the list are from Bandit Camps. Clear out the camp of Bandits in the overland, loot the final chest, and you will get a random trait reward. You can save scum this process by reloading right before looting, though it’s an admittedly cheesy strategy. Below is our list and explanation for the best traits in Hogwarts Legacy.
Ambush gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased spell damage while concealed by Disillusionment.
- Level 2: Greatly increased spell damage while concealed by Disillusionment.
- Level 3: Significantly increased spell damage while concealed by Disillusionment.
If you want to do more damage while stealth, consider the Ambush Trait. Found in Bandit camps, this gear trait increases spell damage while concealed with a disillusionment spell. The disillusionment spell is unlocked in the Secrets of the Restricted Section quest by Sebastian Sallow.
You can combine Disillusionment with Petrifcus Totalus by sneaking up to an unsuspecting enemy. This combination, along with the gear trait, can produce one-shot kills. Even on higher difficulty, you can stun, evade, and destroy entire camps. With the right skill setup, even do an area or multiple kills. Therefore, we consider Ambush one of the 10 best traits in Hogwarts Legacy for stealth players.
Fangs gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased Chinese Chomping Cabbages damage.
- Level 2: Greatly increased Chinese Chomping Cabbages damage.
- Level 3: Significantly increased Chinese Chomping Cabbages damage.
While Chinese Chomping Cabbages look inconspicuous, they are anything but meek. Fangs are a gear trait that increases the damage of these consumable items. Cabbages are so strong, that we dedicated a build to them, and it’s arguably the most powerful and simplest way to play Hogwarts Legacy.
With the right gear trait setup and some Room of Requirement skills, these Chomping Cabbages can clear any boss encounter or arena single-handedly. However, not all players like to rely on consumable items and constant crafting in the room of requirement. If you love simplistic and overpowered builds, Fangs and the Cabbage Build is for you.
Scorching gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased damage with Incendio.
- Level 2: Greatly increased damage with Incendio.
- Level 3: Significantly increased damage with Incendio.
One early-game spell that provides area-based damage is Incendio. With the Scorching gear trait, you can turn this spell into a powerful area-based damage spell. The Scorching trait can also be unlocked by quests or bandit camp. This is a good way to boost your area-based spell early in the game as you transition to more powerful spells later on.
Disarming gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased damage with Expelliarmus.
- Level 2: Greatly increased damage with Expelliarmus.
- Level 3: Significantly increased damage with Expelliarmus.
The Expelliarmus spell is one of the most powerful and versatile spells in the game. It’s used for various builds including Ancient Magic and Dark Arts. The Disarming gear trait, therefore, comes in as one of our top 10 best in Hogwarts Legacy. You can find and unlock this trait via Bandit Camps so with a little time and luck, you should be able to craft it easily.
The strength of Expelliarmus is that you can disarm wands and weapons from most enemies. This essentially shuts down the opposition and frees you up to do damage, without being attacked. In multiple enemy fights, this can be helpful to disarm and also damage the enemy. Regardless of your build, consider using Expelliarmus and Disarming gear traits in Hogwarts Legacy.
Explosive gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased damage with Bombarda.
- Level 2: Greatly increased damage with Bombarda.
- Level 3: Significantly increased damage with Bombarda.
When it comes to explosive damage, nothing beats Bombarda. This mid to late-game spell is perfect to break red charm shields and deal heavy explosive damage. The Explosive trait increases the effectiveness of this spell, and it’s commonly used as a red shield breaker later in the game.
You can unlock Bombard in the quest, Professor Howin’s Assignment, and the trait through Bandit Camps. With heavy damage and shield-breaking capabilities, this is one of the strongest spells making Explosive Bombarda one of the best combos.
5 Ancient Magic
Ancient Magic gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased damage with Ancient Magic.
- Level 2: Greatly increased damage with Ancient Magic.
- Level 3: Significantly increased damage with Ancient Magic.
In Hogwarts Legacy, Ancient Magic acts as your “ultimate spell.” Essentially it does a massive amount of damage with a much longer cooldown than other spells. With the Ancient Magic gear trait, you can do even more damage. This is particularly h helpful if you save and build up an Ancient Magic meter for a boss fight.
You can enhance your Ancient Magic meter and eventually have multiple levels. With the Ancient Magic gear trait, you essentially stockpile this resource. Once you know an impending boss fight is inevitable, use all your Ancient Magic at once doing massive amounts of damage instantly. Consider the Ancient Magic trait one of Hogwarts Legacy: The Best Gear Traits Ranked because of its boss-killing potential.
Unforgivable gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased damage dealt to cursed targets.
- Level 2: Greatly increased damage dealt to cursed targets.
- Level 3: Significantly increase damage dealt to cursed targets.
It can be argued that the strongest build in Hogwarts Legacy is the Dark Arts. For those Dark Wizards and Witches, the Unforgivable gear trait should be your priority. Dealing increased damage to cursed targets, you can unload a massive amount of damage to cursed targets.
The only downside of this gear trait is you need to be at a higher level to unlock these Dark Arts spells. After you progress in the 20s, you have access to a variety of these incredibly powerful spells. However, power comes at a cost so use it at your own risk!
Herbology gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased damage by all plants.
- Level 2: Greatly increased damage by all plants.
- Level 3: Significantly increased damage by all plants.
While Dark Arts build might be the most powerful, a plant, cabbage, and Herbology build is the simplest. Simply through down your plants, and what chaos ensues. If you’re looking for a gear trait and build that makes the game easy, Herbology is the best trait. You can throw down multiple Chomping Cabbages, stun every enemy with Mandrake Root, and watch them all die within seconds.
Yes, this playstyle is cheesy, but for players who struggle with combat, it’s highly recommended. Equip every gear piece with Herbology and let your plants do the work. Making Herbology one of the 10 best gear traits in Hogwarts Legacy.
2 Ancient Magic Focus
Ancient Magic Focus gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased Ancient Magic Meter fill rate.
- Level 2: Greatly increased Ancient Magic Meter fill rate.
- Level 3: Significantly increased Ancient Magic Meter fill rate.
The only thing better than harder-hitting Ancient Magic is a faster fill rate. With the Ancient Magic Focus gear trait, you will rapidly recharge your Ancient Magic ability. You can use a combination of the faster fill trait with harder hitting (3/3 split). This gives you a perfect balance between recharge and damage. Moreover, this playstyle and gear trait work on every build and allow you to feel like a powerful ancient Wizard or Witch.
Concentration gear trait effect:
- Level 1: Increased damage of all Damage spells.
- Level 2: Greatly increased damage of all Damage spells.
- Level 3: Significantly increased damage of all Damage spells.
The best overall gear trait in Hogwarts Legacy is Concentration because it amplifies all spells. Unlike other gear traits, you won’t be limited to using a specific spell or mechanic. The concentration gear trait gives you the freedom to experiment with all spells and adapt your build-in playstyle around an ever-expanding spell book.
Concentration gear trait can be unlocked at Bandit Camps and doesn’t require specific quest completion or later game spells. With versatility, ease of access, and variety to create a unique build, Concentration is the best gear trait in Hogwarts Legacy.
Looking For More About Hogwarts Legacy?
Thank you for reading Hogwarts Legacy: The Best Gear Traits Ranked Guide. We provide the latest news and create guides for Hogwarts Legacy. Also, watch me play games on Twitch or visit my YouTube channel!